Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which tablet chrimbo 2k17 edition
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

My Nexus 7 mk2 has become excruciating to use so I need something to replace it. I won’t be using it for gaming but want something slick to use and well built with a good screen. I’m keen on the Asus Z500 Zenpad 3S 10 blah blah but PCWorld who were the cheapest have annoyingly put their price up £20. Any suggestions?

midlifecrashes

I’m considering the Amazon Fire HD8 to replace a first gen Samsung Galaxy Tab 7″. £50 if you want screensaver ads £60 if you don’t.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What budget? My Samsung tab s3 is teh awesome!

scotroutes

Have Amazon and Google made up yet? I was reading that YouTube wasn’t (to be) available on Fire tablets.

cyclistm
    Free Member

No issues with the you tube app on our hd8

cyclistm
    Free Member

Also I’ve been very impressed with the Samsung galaxy tab a

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you tried clearing the data cache, deleting unused apps and even doing a fresh install of everything on your Nexus 7 2013?

Can you get micro USB memory sticks (perhaps OTG?) that will make up for the Nexus’ default memory shortfall?

I recently bought a Maze Alpha mobile, it’s really zippy compared to my Nexus 7 2013, but the extra ~2″ of diagonal screen makes web surfing and especially movie streaming much more of a joy on the Nexus!
    I only bought the Maze as my first “smart” Android phone as something that could make/receive calls and texts for those times when BT hotspot reception is flaky or even non-existent, using a prepaid Three 12GB data sim card and a separate “3-2-1” sim card for traditional mobile use. Plus I could use the mobile data to make use of the “live tracking” feature on my Lezyne Super GPS, so selected e-mailed people like Mrsgoat can see in real-time where I am while riding.

Despite their con-artist nomenclature, the only “Amazon Fire HD” tablet that actually uses a 1920×1080/1200 display is the new 10 IIRC! They were ~£110 around Black Friday, think they are ~£150 now.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Budget is up to about £300 but Ideally less.

I unlocked the bootloader and put a Cyanogen rom on it a while back and while that gave it a bit of a new lease of life it’s really creaking now.

Also I’ve been very impressed with the Samsung galaxy tab a

Is yours the 10″? Did the Nougat update effect performance?

I can’t believe I’m even considering it as I hate Apple with a passion but an ipad could be a useful tool for music production.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got a Fire 10 in the sale, not used it much as it’s supposed to be a Xmas pressie but seems good for the money. I just bought it for Netflix, iPlayer etc so sure it’ll do the job. I put Google play etc on it, it’s a 2 minute job.

CraigW
    Free Member

Some of the Lenovos look not bad. They are mostly standard Android, without much added bloat. eg Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 8″ is now £170 at Currys.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Yeah our tab a is a 10 inch. It doesn’t have to work too hard to be honest, mostly just browsing internet etc. But as above, pretty good value. I suspect the camera is poor, but it’s never been used. The screen is comparable to the iPad 2 it replaces.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m even considering it as I hate Apple with a passion but an ipad could be a useful tool for music production.

iPad 9.7 32gb is currently £299 at Argos

scruff9252

I’m in a similar boat and been playing with Mrs Scruffs chromebook – lenovo r11. 10″ laptop which folds round onto itself to become a 10″ tablet. Annoyingly it’s a 19v charge which would be a nuisance when away with only 12v battery packs.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Just get an iPad. I’ve tried all sorts and nothing beats it imho

BigJohn

I’m also in the market for a cheapie. And when I say cheap…I’m currently using a 1st Gen Tesco Hudl. All I use the tablet for is the Guardian and Independent newspaper apps, Spotify and web browsing. My android phone and windows 10 laptop are fine for other stuff.
    Thinking of Amazon Fire, but not sure it supports those apps, or Galaxy tab A.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus user here – hi-res screen, excellent Dolby Atmos sound, expandable memory using microSD card and USB-C, and very long (18 hours or so) battery life. Would buy same again without hesitation.

Superficial
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m even considering it as I hate Apple with a passion but an ipad could be a useful tool

There’s a reason ipads are extremely popular. They might not be right for someone’s situation but it seems silly to disregard a good option because of a (presumably) irrational ‘hate’.

Gilesey
    Free Member

Apple refurb store is good for saving a few quid on iPads. 2 bought now and both indistinguishable from new: Refurb store

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which tablet chrimbo 2k17 edition’ is closed to new replies.