Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which suit for a funeral?
  • Tallpaul
    Free Member

I am due to attend the funeral of my partners Grandfather. I do not own a black suit (only a tux) as I prefer lighter colours for work. Of the suits I own, the ‘most’ suitable is either a mid-grey or indigo blue (not a horrible shiny shade, but nonetheless not a midnight blue).

I previously wore the mid-grey to a funeral for one of my own family, but I am conscious of wearing the lighter shade on this occasion. My preference is for the blue but is it too colourful?

Ideally I’d wear charcoal grey but I do not have time to organise a well fitting suit.

ourmaninthenorth

Any existing suit will do – a black suit is almost never necessary for any occasion*. Just pair with a black tie if you think appropriate.

*Unless it’s your first court appearance.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m not sure it really matters. Neither of the funerals I was at recently had me passing a critique on folks choice of attire. It’s more important that you are there, showing your respect and letting the family & friends know you cared about the person.

Coyote
    Free Member

Either suit, whatever you feel most comfortable in, and then just slip on a white shirt and black tie.

Condolences to your partner.

alfabus
    Free Member

grey, not blue.

white shirt, black tie.

don’t worry about it too much. it is not the sort of occasion where people will be criticising your fashion choices. I’ve been to funerals where people have clearly not owned a ‘funeral outfit’, so they have just worn whatever they could to show respect (including kids wearing a homer simpson tie, because it was the only tie they had).

Dave

footflaps

People will be happy you took the time to show your respect and not care what you wore.

kcal

as above. Of the (too many) funerals I’ve been to recently, I haven’t noted any particular dress code – considered, I suppose would cover it.

For a grandparent sort of age group, plenty of folk will have the dark grey suit and black tie but I must say there’s even less of that formal wear in evidence.

For some time I didn’t have a suit at all (until the dole bought me one) and on occasion, kilt sufficed – surprisingly so, but you need the confidence to carry that one off!

thomthumb
    Free Member

as a teenager i went to a family funeral; which was ‘no black’. turned up in light chinos and a green tie, dad & bro similar. mum in orange, gran in pink.

everyone else in black. “oh we changed our minds didn’t we tell you”. 😈

gave us something to chat about after.

peterfile
    Free Member

Just wear something sombre and respectful (i.e. avoid white linen suits with a panama hat if possible), nobody cares if it’s black or not, and if they do then they being unreasonable anyway.

I arranged my own grandfathers funeral a couple of weeks ago, and the last thing on my mind when I spoke to people who attended was “oh, look at what they are wearing”, I was just grateful that they had taken the time to come and pay their respects.

It’s nice that you’re actually thinking about it though. I received quite a few phone calls from people asking “is it OK if I wear x?”. I hate all black funerals anyway, makes a grim day even more miserable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

People will be happy you took the time to show your respect and not care what you wore.

This

freeagent
    Free Member

I don’t think it matters, however i’d wear the grey, with white shirt and black tie.

As others have said, being there to show your respect, and support your significant other is much more important than what you wear.

convert

My Father’s funeral was the day before yesterday. I did buy a suit (dark, dark charcoal grey) but that’s because all my clothes were 700 miles away when I left in a bit of a hurry, my only good suit is definitely brown and we were doing a quite unconventional “do” in quite a conservative part of Highland Scotland and I was front and centre as well as doing a “speech” so it helped appease the masses. The alternative was jeans and t-shirt!

As a hanger-oner as boyfriend/partner of the granddaughter I don’t think anyone will care beyond the fact you were there. I can’t say I’ve any memory of what anyone was wearing outside of my mother, wife and sister.

hora
    Free Member

Convert I turned upto my Dads funeral in a down-Jacket. It was mid-December and very very cold. I’m surprised the mechanical digger got into the ground.

OP- Anything that is formal will do. Stop fretting.

Marin
    Free Member

The same one for weddings and funerals. I only own one though.

Kuco

When my old man died I was going to buy some black trousers,shirt and tie and was told not to waste my money by my mum as she knew i’d never wear them again. Ended up buying some black craghoppers that I still wear and borrowing a shirt of my brother.

marsdenman
    Free Member

This

+1

Last Friday I found out that not only had an older lady we knew had died, not just that, the funeral was due to start in 30 mins… (Several friends had each thought the other had passed the news to us…) Thankfully i’m self employed and work is just 5 mins walk from the church – I rocked up in jeans, scruffy trainers, t-shirt, scruffy jacket….. Her sons & family we’re simply happy that I had made it, to show our respect.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which suit for a funeral?’ is closed to new replies.