Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which sub £1k road bike?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

My cycle to work scheme finished in November, and I realised it’s more than a year since I bought a new bike! I have a marin hybrid which I use for commuting, but after a long ride yesterday I decided I might want a road bike. The LBS will lend me a bike next weekend so I can get at least 50 miles in to see if I’ll get on with the riding position. It’s likely to be a cervelo I think, so not in my budget at all…

LBS does Bianchi Specialized and Giant, and have emphasised that with road bikes they do quite a bit of fitting etc to get the bike set up properly. That would encourage me to buy from them, as I’ve not had a road bike before. I have seen the carbon Boardman at Halfords, but can’t see them doing the fitting etc. Would that be much better than the £1K LBS bikes? Obviously I’m happy to spend less, I’ll never be racing, just want a bike I can ride all day.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Kona Sutra? Not based on any first hand knowledge just like the look of the geometry etc. They look a real nice bike.

druidh
    Free Member

Depends what you want the road bike for.

Touring/Commuting? Something like the Sutra would be fine for that. You’ll get various Dawes models too.

Want to go a bit faster? Planet X Carbon Superlight, Focus Cayo, Dolan Mythos are all in the £1k range.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Couple of my mates have the Boardman carbons from Halfords amazingly competant bikes for the cash. a grand gets you carbon frame, ritchey kit and a Sram rival group.

Leon
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m saying it, but even if you don’t have to use Halfords on your scheme, the Boardman Team Carbon is hard to beat for about £1K. Top quality frame, full carbon fork, Ritchey finishing kit, and SRAM Rival, which really is a match for Ultegra in quality. NOthing else is close really. I wouldn’t trust Halfords to build it though!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have the Marin for commuting, so really I’m after something faster.

Concensus so far seems to be Boardman over LBS support on fitting. Will it be that much better?

donald
    Free Member

Get a second-hand one? Used road bikes are good value and have usually had a quieter life than mountain bikes. You won’t need to spend a grand to get a very capable second hand road bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ribble sportive? The ready built ones are £1100 with ultegra, think theres a campag oe for £1000 (never used campag stuff so can’t comment). Never ridden one but the photos make it look jaw dropingly good looking!

Its not a race bike as the head tube is a bit taller to give it a more upright position. If you ever did want to race i guess a bigger drop stem would bring it back down again. And beig a carbon sporive bike i imagine it’s quite comfy a well.

Ohh and the frame weighs something silly like 930g!

Smiker
    Free Member

I agree with Leon about the Boardman/Halfords deal. Then pay appropriately to have the bike fitted at another shop and don’t expect any freebies.

Or, from the range you listed – ask your LBS about a TCR alliance. They’re a bit over a grand but nice bikes. If they can get Cubes, then there’s no argument – get the attempt. At 899 they’re a steal.

Fit is important. So even if you go to Halfords see a pro shop and make sure you’re set up well.

Guilliano
    Free Member

Giant Defy 1? OK, it’s an alloy frame, but it’s a very good one. Not too racy in geometry either

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which sub £1k road bike?’ is closed to new replies.