Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • ………………….which SS rear hub ….?
  • jeb

Hello

Need a hub for my commuter bike, i would like it to be one of those where you screw on a freewheel.
    -must be easy to maintain! -if possible only to bearings in the hub……

i found this so far…

https://www.bike-mailorder.com/bike-parts/hubs/15625.html

Stoner
    Free Member

What OLN?

120mm easy to find. 130 and 135mm trickier.

Clobber
    Free Member
    JoB
    Free Member

assuming it’s an MTB a normal MTB rear hub with a freehub and SS kit will be easier to maintain than a screw-on freehweel, unless you spend ££ on something like a White Industries freewheel

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What JoB said,

Unless you go with something like the WI freewheel then IME the bearings in screw on freewheels die long before the sprockets are worn.

And I’ve not seen any mid range 135mm screw on hubs for a while. DMR used to sell a catalogue one, as did On-One, but neither’s on their sites anymore. That Halo one is 48h and 120mm OLN, which is an odd settup by anyones standards. Planet-X do some more normal spoke counts.

So, just pick a hub that suits your budget and fit a SS kit to that with a nice wide based sprocket.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I think the DMR revolver may be what you are after, I have no idea if they still make them tho.

kerley
    Free Member

As the hub you have linked to is a 120mm track hub then that is what you will need. I have used Halo hubs and found them pretty good. I also used a WI freewheel which lasted two years and had to replace due to worn teeth rather than any issues with the bearing so money well spent.

tthew

Surly make a good range of sizes and styles too. I have a pair of them which I’d let go for the right price 135mm rear with one fixie and one freewheel thread.

stu170
    Free Member

Just buy a wheel from single speed components, very good for my commuter

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have a Brick Lane bikes freewheel that is really good and easily matches the white industries on performance and life.

Size is the key issue, for 135mm (MTB) A deore hub with SS kit is pretty good bombproof buy. (unless you can find a DMR or Surly)

Any less 120-130 any track hub with a freewheel thread and sealed bearings. The bearings are usually very easy to get hold of when they die.

IF you want real maintenance free go fixed.

Klunk
    Free Member

lots at charlies actually not as many as i remember and mostly out of stock. 🙁

jeb

-OH -forgot to say, the bike is a specialized Langster singlespeed frame……. it has quick-release on the rear, it is easy to use, but should i rather go with bolts ???

-and to be honest i dont know the spacing on the rear……….. but right now there sits a singlespeed`ed XT rear wheel with quickreleasres …. 🙂

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Surly hubs would be a good place to start. Screw on freewheels are fine. About 3000 miles on my SS commuter and the freewheel is going strong.

Del

langster is 120 OLD, at least mine is. a ruler will confirm 😉

TiRed

Miche Primato low flange track hub. I’ve commuted on mine for three years. I run mine fixed and the hub is single sided, so none of that flip flop nonsense. Built up with Open Pros.

I picked low flange because I didn’t want it to look like a track bike on the road.

piemonster

Having not to long ago bought a DMR single speed hub.

Id do what JoB said, if you’ve got a wheel to convert.

jeb

-found this surly rear disc hub :

http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/hubs_v1

REAR DISC, 135mm (MTB SPACING)
    Black 32h 135mm O.L.D. Freewheel

….i hope the 135mm will fit my specialize langster frame!
    -seems nice you can adjust the bearings…

TiRed

It won’t. Langster has 120 mm spacing. You won’t be able to squeeze an mtb hub in, and unlike a steel frame, you can’t cold set the spacing.

You want a track hub with 120 mm spacing.

jeb

Thanks!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And unless you can build wheels, I’d buy a wheel as a shop will charge you £25 to build it, £30 for the spokes, and RRP for the rim etc it soon adds up.

http://www.singlespeedcomponents.co.uk have rear wheels that’ll fit starting at £55 which will get you moving again.

ajantom

£10 at Planet X/On-One for a 120mm track hub. These’ll take a screw on free wheel.
    120mm Track Hub

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘………………….which SS rear hub ….?’ is closed to new replies.