Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which size wheel?
  • ctrl
    Free Member

Seems like I make a new topic everytime I go to purchase something new due to the 101 different options with every single part 😆

Noticed some side to side play in my rear wheel on the last few rides. Possibly the bearings have gone so going to use it as an excuse to purchase a new wheel. Have decided on the Hope Pro4 but there seems to be 3 different size options for 650b.

142 x 12mm
    148 x 12mm
    150 x 12mm

How do I know which is the one I need? Real novice question I’m sure. I currently ride an Orange Five 2015 model. What does this measurment refer to? Is it the axle length?

Many thanks.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter.

Just pick a size you like and then be a dick about it.
    You’ll fit right in round here 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of axle standards. When I’m World President, all those marketing people who conjured up these confusing standards will be put on a televised show trial and will be given thirty seconds to justify their decision making. Those found guilty of foisting unnecessary standards will be sent to the Clacton Gulag for ten years hard labour.

Before that happens however, I would be willing to bet that your 2015 bike is 142x15mm

142×15 = the old 135mm standard with bolt through and tabs to locate in dropouts.

150x12mm = standard for downhill bikes.

148x12mm = Boost 148, developed for Fatbikes and is definitely not a pointless, cynical exercise.

Northwind

According to Orange, it’s a 142×12.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Northwind – Member
    According to Orange, it’s a 142×12.

Third reply is far too early for a straight to the point matter of fact answer, should have been at least a page of BS first

zinaru
    Free Member

perchypanther – i remember that video as well – and its true.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I reckon we’ll see 148×15 as the new-new ‘standard’ before long. 12mm axes being too narrow, init.. 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Watch out for Front Disc Spacing rear wheels. 😯 😉

ctrl
    Free Member

Maybe not such a silly question afterall then, sounds like a bit of a mindfield ha! Cheers for the advice all though 🙂

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Personally I think you need a new bike…have you not noticed that the grips are wearing a bit thin on your bars… 😀

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Make sure you’ve checked out the cause of play at the rear-end just in case it’s something else. If your current hub/frame is thru-axle, I’m guessing the hub has cartridge bearings and not the cup-and-cone type which tend to work loose. If that’s the case, that would make it even stranger, as it’s unusual for cartridge bearing hubs to become loose (essentially, there’s nothing to come loose and as there are usually 3 sets of bearings on the drive-side, it’s unusual for all of them to wear out together) – if anything, they tend to seize up when the bearings are knackered. But then again, if there is indeed play in the hub axles, it does sound trashed !
    Presumably you’ve currently not got hubs that are worth servicing ? i.e. Hope

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which size wheel?’ is closed to new replies.