Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which size torx bit to get out a stubborn 2.5mm hex bolt
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Evening all.I need to get the lever pin out of a ks 1900.it,s a 2.5 allen key but wont budge .It,s starting to go so will need to hammer in a nice ti coated torx bit.Is it T6,7,8,9 i need to belt in.Just thought i’d ask the stw bodgers before i buy one online. 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

That should read i900

somafunk

A T15 torx bit is what you need such as below which is 3.0mm across the flats or 3.5mm across the points, approx measurements dependant on quality of torx bits, mine are wera 1/4″ drive bits measured wi a micrometer.

gmex619
    Free Member

A 2.5mm allen (XO 9 speed cage screw) Comes up as a T10 Torx but it moves slightly. Consider a T11 if available. Though a T10 SHOULD work.

gmex619
    Free Member

soma, my T15 wouldn’t even come close..

robhughes
    Free Member

T 10 is to big.I have one of them..
    Sorry…My fault..It,s a 2mm allen… 😳

somafunk

Really?, a T10 as measured in front of me right now is only 2.35mm flat to flat, and my mistake – the T15 is 2.7mm flat to flat not 3.0mm as i dozily measured above, it helps to switch the light on rather than squint using the light from the laptop screen, i blame my mistake on getting annoyed by that t’wat nigel farage on ip[layer question time,

You could always try a 7/64″ imperial allen key but if a 2.5mm is starting to go i imagine it will round out.

edit : forget all the above as i buggered off to the kitchen for whisky and you replied it was a 2mm allen head in my absence, in that case a T8 will be too small so as a last resort you could try a 3/32 imperial allen key.

robhughes
    Free Member

What about T9 bit will get a 3/32 allen as well.
    Thanks somafunk. 😀

somafunk

Dunno bout T9?, never seen one and i certainly don’t own one to measure, a 3/32″ imperial is 2.30mm across the flats and if a T10 is too big to fit in the head then round out the head a bit more with the 2mm hex key then hammer the T10 into the head, the shock of hammering the T10 into the bolt head may well loosen the bond between the head/thread and surface it’s sitting on.

If in doubt give it a clout, in practice the first law of thermodynamics (energy can neither be created nor destroyed but merely transferred from one body to another), which does kinda come into play as you are transferring the kinetic energy of the hammer swing into a force (shock) that dissipates throughout the bolt head. Not going to mention heat transfer etc…etc…it’s late and i’m running out of whisky………

robhughes
    Free Member

How does the energy transfer is you hit your thumb with said hammer.
    Does it transfer into pain but then the whiskey transfers it again into something else. 😆

gmex619
    Free Member

I have a t9 torx..

Ill check if it’ll fit in a 2mm in the morning for you.

robhughes
    Free Member

Thanks gmex619 .

gmex619
    Free Member

A T9s points are exactly the same diameter as the corners on a 2mm key. It will work.

robhughes
    Free Member

Superb…Thanks for remembering bud.. 😀

robhughes
    Free Member

Yey…A T9 torx bit removes a kapooshed 2mm alen bolt… Success
    Cheers gmex619..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which size torx bit to get out a stubborn 2.5mm hex bolt’ is closed to new replies.