Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which size Stumpjumper? Your experience please..
  • keppoch

Looking to get a 650b Stumpjumper for my Dad. He has tried to find one today but no luck and time is short so would appreciate experience from owners.

He is 5’10” with 31″ leg and currently rides 18″ Maxlight XC120

Medium or Large?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s his reach like? (Upper body and arm lengths?)
    What terrain?

If the answers to the above are short and gnarly, go medium. Shorter reach, and a more manoeuvrable frame underneath him.

If he’s longer limbed, and riding more general stuff, probably a large.

However…..none of this advice is a substitute for a test ride and/or proper fitting!

keppoch

He is probably shorter rather than average limbed. He’s 70 and we are going to Oregon on holiday so looking for something capable and comfortable.

He’s been to two Evans stores in London today trying to find one but nothing representative in either and suspect stock is limited. Frustrating as I totally agree with you that trying one for size is best.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The tough thing is that you’re looking at season switchover time, which means that many stores have been running down their stocks in time for the new stuff to come in.

As an aside, have been reviewing the 2017 Spesh range in detail recently. Some very, very good stuff in there. A few curve balls, too.

Tracey

Kevin has got a 26″ S Works Stumpjumper in medium . Runs it with 160 mm Pikes. Its out with us in the Alps at the moment. He also has a Stumpjumper Evo carbon 29r in medium. He is 6′ 0″ tall with a 32″ inside leg. He thought the large was too big. Hope this helps a bit. Dont know if there are any left but Bikescene had some good deals on them.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and rode a large Stumpjumper but have long arms and if I were seventy I’d go for the medium.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Should have mentioned, am of similar dimensions, and ride a medium Enduro. If I had a Stumpy, it would be a large. Had a great demo weekend on a large 6Fattie FSR a while ago.

HTH. Only I know that it won’t really! Sorry!

durborough
    Free Member

Just literally just bought one (last weekend) – I’m 5’10 and 31 inch inner leg. I thought I was going to want a M, but then having tried it went for L – much better for me. But as they say – try if you can because your dad will be on the cross over between M and L so it will depend on limb length as well.

muggomagic

Go for the 6fattie if you’re looking at the 650b rather than the 29er. Much better spec and it’s an absolute blast.
    EDIT I’d say go for the medium, but as above give them both a go.

dahedd
    Free Member

I’m 5’7 & have two medium frame Stumpjumpers. One an 2007 26″ wheel version & a 2015 29″ wheel.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” with knuckle dragging arms. I have a large stumpy 650, with a 40mm stem. It’s fab and the reverb i have (longer drop version) fits, but only just goes low enough for my shorter legs.

I’d always go longer in the frame with a shorter stem, and saddle slightly forward if need be. Although reverbs dont allow the saddle to go very far back anyhow.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go for the 6fattie if you’re looking at the 650b rather than the 29er.

muggomagic

The 6fattie has the better spec compared to the 650b and 29er and if you wanted you can put a pair of 29er wheels in anyway.
    There is some very good deals to be had on the 2016 models at the moment too.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11″ and being long limbed, I went for a large Stumpy 29er. It fits me beautifully. Fitting a short stem to a long bike is a better solution than fitting a long stem to a short bike to clear the knees.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which size Stumpjumper? Your experience please..’ is closed to new replies.