Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Which Singlespeed MTB under £1000?
  • core

That charge video is really fun, totally eembodieswhat sss29ers are about for me, the simplicity and versatility are ideal.

Must resist the urge for one!

Sam

I’m kicking myself I didn’t go for the kickstarter offer for the rooster. How does the swift differ?

You can only just squeeze a 29+ in the back of a Swift. The aRooster is designed for it. Plus the Rooster’s geometry and tubing is optimised for the bigger tyres.

benji
    Free Member

Had the 2012 Cannondale, rides really nicely, frame is unchanged just comes with slightly better spec in 2014. Sold it to fund a Pace RC129, which is a fantastic ride, I know Sherwood Cycles have a Pace frame which they would be pleased to move, and you should be able to build the whole bike in your budget. When I bought mine I got some LX cranks from JE James, sold the bottom bracket and rings it came with, and the arms cost me just £17 and then just added an e-thirteen ring of the size I wanted.

(bar position now changed, lot less spacers)

breadcrumb

No I don’t have a Karate Monkey but they do have a lot of followers so must be alright.

I have a 2014 Unit, the freehub body started to slip, but I am riding it in the lakes so does see some abuse. My LBS done me a deal on a SS Hope hub rather than warranty the OE one.

Kryton57

2 questions:

Where’s Sam’s Swift offer? Details?

And those Charge Cookers – can anyone comment on the longevity /quality of the chrome finish?

flashes
    Free Member

I’ve had / have quite a few SS, love my Inbred, love my Karate Monkey, love my Pugsley, all the others have been and gone, see if you can try a few….

flashes
    Free Member

Oh and I didn’t like the Charge, it felt wooden compared to the On One, etc, but horses for courses……

Duffer
    Free Member

Where’s Sam’s Swift offer? Details?

Sam, from page 1:

Can build you a Swift for around £1000.

slowjo
    Free Member

My Swift has been a SS and geared. It is currently geared and, as always, rigid.

My ‘Go to’ bike, I have ridden it (predominantly offroad) for just under 4,000 miles in the last 18 months. I reckon my total mileage on it must be nearer 5,500. It still surprises me and frequently puts a smile on my face.

The paint is a bit messed up in places but I just love it to bits.

Thought about a new one so I could get 2.4s in the back and SS the oldie but I’m worried it won’t ride the same.

Anyway, thoroughly recommended.

TiRed

I had a rigid Kona Unit 29er. It was my first proper MTB and I loved it.
    Replaced with a Genesis ioid HT running SS with Hope Hoops. I don’t miss the larger wheels, but would think twice about going back to rigid. I do, however prefer frames with a sliding dropout because rear wheel removal is soooo much faster.

Moses

£1000 ? pfft.
    Buy my Dawes Edge One, the first widely available SS MTB. It’s a V-braked disaster but yours for £130!

Clink

Buy a Voodoo Bizango and take the gears off. Job done.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My Curtis S1 so I have cash for an Rc129 when one pops up cheap.

Paceman
    Free Member

HughStew – Member

Oh bugger. I had just about decided on a Charge Cooker SS, the only worry being the ability to put anything over 2.2″ tyres on it.

I ran a 2.4″ on the back of my Cooker, and a 3″ Surly Knard on the front, both on whopping 50mm rims. I’m not sure who told you the Cooker has a 2.2″ limit but they’re very wrong.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Which Singlespeed MTB under £1000?’ is closed to new replies.