• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by beb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which Single Speed Frame?
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I'm thinking of swapping out my Handjob for a SS frame.

What got me thinking about it was seeing a Genesis iO in a shop today, looks really nice.

The Genesis frame is £229. Other Option I can think of is the inbred slot drop out – but sizing seems a bit strange on them, the 16" is a bit too short and I reckon the 18" might be too long with a ETT or 585mm.

Any other ideas at around the same price of the Genesis or less 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nope, not really anything else available new as a frame only for that money. I had similar thoughts and bought a sanderson soloist for £240 but usually they are closer to £300. You used to be able to get an on-one scandal with slotted dropouts for about £230, not sure if they are making slotty ones again.

Assuming you have already tried ss-ing with a chain tensioner and don't like it (plenty of people do get along just fine with them), perhaps you could get a forward components eccentric bottom bracket: it will cost you the difference between what you sell the HJ for and spend on a brand new frame, you know your frame fits you already, and it lets you go back to gears easily enough.

shermer75
    Free Member

There's an eccentric rear hub you can get too….

steve_b77
    Free Member

Julian,

Thanks for the info.

Could try a tensioner or one of them BB thingies

AlMol
    Free Member

this is around your price range, not sure about your colour though!

AlMol
    Free Member

alex

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was actually thinking of a pink one, I'm going to be subject to enough abuse of my mates for riding SS as it is, may as well fully jhey up 😆

AlMol
    Free Member

Haha do it! That one hasnt seen a track yet, only built it up today! I ride the OnOne inbred myself, its a good sturdy steel frame, however i think the pink Scandal will top it! I look forward to riding it for the first time tomorrow…. even though its actually my dads. I think i will only ride it when i go out on my own though, or avoid the gay doggers car parks up on cannock chase!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That is probably the ugliest bike I have ever seen pictured on here.

steve_b77
    Free Member

scott – you must've seen those gopping Mavericks 😆

AlMol
    Free Member

homophobe!

+1 for the Genesis. Got this a fortnight ago. Lovely bike.

(Smug Warning – the whole bike only cost £170 more than your frame budget off 'the bay 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

@ M_M_T_M -> no fair on overtly smug comment 😆

Guess I'll keep an eye out, although I do like the brown frame on the '10 model :mrgreen:

HTTP404
    Free Member

I have a 16in Genesis IO for sale in vgc. if you go in that direction.

steve_b77
    Free Member

HTTP404 – that's going to be too small, I'm 5'11"

But thanks for the offer 8)

beb

I had an IO too – lovely frames, regret selling it. Got asked if it was Ti on more than one occasion too.

Otherwise, what about a dialled love/hate? EBB so could always go back to gears if you wanted to in the future..not sure how much they are mind…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which Single Speed Frame?’ is closed to new replies.