Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which short travel xc (a bit racey) bike..?
  • missnotax
    Free Member

Hello 🙂

I sold my lovely Santa Cruz Juliana last week and am starting to regret it a bit (especially after a 50 mile MTB ride on the 5 last Saturday 😯 ).

I’m in the middle of moving house at the moment so don’t have too much spare cash, but am looking at buying something second hand to get me through the next few months of xc races etc (and to make longer / less techy rides a bit less painful!). I have the following on my hit list;

Scott Spark
    Yeti ASR
    Spesh Epic
    Cube AMS
    Giant Anthem

(All 26″, yes :wink:)

What else have I missed??!

Thanks!!

sefton
    Free Member

[/URL]

26lb, not an out and out racer more of a good allrounder . recently raced in the sam houghton challenge 30miles of the lakes (won our cat too) 😀

frames under 6’lb with a short headtube for a low position. Its cool with 120 forks too. I could easily get it under 25lb

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cannondale Rush (can be 650’b’d if you’re that way inclined)

mrmo
    Free Member

if you can find one a Trek Top Fuel in Alu.

jelly
    Free Member

I am currently looking to sell my Cube AMS WLS (Women Like Series) Pro 26″ Full Suspension XC Bike – 2010. Details:

Frame: Alu Superlite 7005 STK Double Butted, FSP 4-Link-System, WLS Geometry
    Size: 17″
    Colour: Fading Black
    Fork: Rock Shox Reba Ra ce U-turn 90-120mm, Motion Control, PopLoc
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 BV
    Headset: FSA Orbit Z
    Stem: Syntace F149 Oversized
    Handlebar: Syntace Vector 2014 318 Lowrider Oversized
    Grips: Ergon GP1
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD-M771, Down Swing
    Shifter: Shimano Deore XT SL-M770
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R Discbrake
    Crank: Shimano Deore XT FC-M770 Hollowtech II 44x32x22, Integrated BB
    Cassette: Shimano CS-HG50 11-32, 9 speed
    Chain: Shimano CN-HG53
    Wheel Set: DT Swiss XPW1600 (UPGRADED)
    Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
    Front Tyre: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25
    Saddle: Fi’zi:k Vitesse
    Seatpost: RFR Prolight 31.6mm Setback

Suspension Recently professionally serviced

Excellent condition (only very minor marks from use)

This has been a superb bike, only selling due to the lure of bigger wheels 😀

Let me know if interested

Pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113247578999784806234/CubeAMSWLSPro?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCODFlOHLz9W3dA&feat=directlink

missnotax
    Free Member

Looks like a fab bike jelly – wrong size for me i’m afraid 🙁

I’m 5ft 4″ so it’s small frames only (15-16″)….

Superficial
    Free Member

Giant Anthems seem to be the default choice for good reason. Second hand prices are very reasonable.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Blur XC carbon? – Santa cruz have removed from their lineup so might be some discounted ones coming up?? Looks lovely to me.

missnotax
    Free Member

Blur XC carbon?

Lovely – but need to keep the costs minimal on this one… I am about to buy a Turner Burner frame to build up which I suspect might go a tad over budget 😉

robbonzo
    Free Member

yeah I guess even discounted they cost a fortune. Would be my perfect lightweight bike. Turner burner will be nice though. 😉

singletrackmind

Ellsworth truth
    Kona Hei Hei supreme
    Top Fuel on classifieds atm alloy one …

Saccades
    Free Member

Merida LRS?

Carrera LRS?

Centurion Backfire?

First full suss frame to win XC world cup races, bombproof and proven race credentials.

julianwilson
    Free Member

before I opened this thread I would have suggested Santa Cruz Superlight (or indeed juliana!) 😆

tinybits
    Free Member

You’ll have to go a long way to beat an Anthem. Common for a very good reason!

jo_h
    Free Member

I have an immaculate condition 2009 women’s small Scott Spark RC for sale if you’re interested. I’m also 5’4″ so guess it should be roughly the right size I guess! It was only used as a “Sunday best” race bike for the odd xc event, hence the great condition. Scarily fast compared to my other 26″ full suss! If you’re interested at all drop me an email and I’ll send you spec and pics. I would say I’m north west based if you wanted to have a look/try but I get the impression you’re a fair way south?!

timc
    Free Member

you’ll struggle to find a bike with a more consistent set of reviews than the Giant Anthem, plus loads of deals out there…

pete68
    Free Member

I’ve got my wifes anthem xw frame for sale at the moment. 2010 model, size medium. Shock recently serviced at tf tuned. Would come with headset, front mech and seat clamp. Also Also have the wheels that were on it as well. Any good?

Wookster

Hello mate, Ive been through the same loop as you but Im 6’3!!

I’ve ridden back to back the Anthem and Epic, 26ers (this was 2011 when riding a 29 was what riding a 26er is now you see!! :mrgreen: ) at a Demo at Cannock

Anthem felt way more trail bike than the epic, and was great on the Singletrack but the Epic went up hill faster and felt racier/ was faster for me over all.

I bought the epic, no regrets it’s my one MTB now. Ive raced (badly TBH!!) three day events, shorter stuff done some Merida marathons, ridden it in Wales, northeast, lakes both trail centres and natural stuff and I love it.

What I will say is it is a race bike, and asks a lot of you when it get really rough but it rewards you for working hard! Ive put a dropper on mine now for mucking about as the lack of skill, QR seat clamp and high saddle gave been interesting at the end of the day!! But it’s made it a brilliant trail bike too.

Hope that helps??

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Sell the Five too and buy an ASR5C. Best of both worlds.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+Element_90_MSL.html?BIKE=1173&CATID=1&SCATID=1&Y=2013
    Rock Mtn Element, very popular with some racers down here

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which short travel xc (a bit racey) bike..?’ is closed to new replies.