• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which Shimano brake pads?
  • thenorthwind

I need to replace my Shimano pads (B01S type) at both ends and get some spares.

I can get the Shimano ones at £8 a pair, which doesn’t seem too steep until I realise I’m spending £32 on brake pads.

I’d normally go to Superstar for a 4 pack but they’re (presumably permanently) out of stock.

Any other aftermarket organic ones decent and cheaper?

downhillfast
    Free Member

Have a look at the Uberbike website.

I can recommend the Kevlar pads 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve moved to Uberbike now Superstar have thrown in the towel on brake pads.

I also prefer organic ones and they seem pretty good so far. Best if you can catch a discount promo obvs.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve tried all the cheap options and have gone back to the Shimano sintered pads after a few bad experiences. The Shimano last very well, don’t squeel and most importantly don’t fall apart / make terrible noises / grind rotors.

thenorthwind

Uberbike, they’re the ones I was trying to think of. Seems like they don’t do organic though – I think the rotors on that bike are the cheap Shimano “resin only” ones.

scotroutes

Shimano. They last long enough that the cost doesn’t really bother me. I’ll pre-emptively buy some if I see them on offer so usually have spares in the garage.

martinhutch

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-disc-brake-pads-b01s-resin-198042

Bit cheaper for you, even more so if you grab a few bottom brackets and other spares etc while you’re there to spread the postage cost.

IME Uberbike/Superstar ones last much less time than shimano resin.

jruk
    Free Member

Disco sintered or kevlar are pretty good but I’ve gone back to genuine Shimano (sintered front, resin back). Yes they’re more expensive but they last longer so are good vfm.

simondbarnes

Shimano for me

thenorthwind

I’ll just suck it up and stick with Shimano then. Cheers Martin, I need at least one quick though.

dmorts

sintered front, resin back

I’ve been considering different pads front and back, but the opposite to this! Sintered rear, resin/organic front.

From Merlin Cycles

One thing we would say is that you don’t have to run the same pad compound in both your brakes.

A lot of experienced riders run a sintered pad in the rear brake and an organic pad up front. The rear brake requires less power and feel so it makes sense to prioritise durability. The rear caliper also seems to get more filth flung through it so a harder-wearing sintered pad makes sense. The organic pad in the front brake offers good power and feel, where it is needed most. The trade-off in durability is well worth for most riders

Going to give Merlin’s suggestion a go, front is way too grabby with sintered pads…. I’ll probably find the resin pads last about 2 rides this time of year though!

poah
    Free Member

I’ve been using WMD organic pads in my saints

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which Shimano brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.