Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which Shifters – Sram or Shimano?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Finishing a build (SC Nomad)which has been greatly stalled due to injury.
    Was taking old XT shifter plus front and rear mech off an old frame which I was going to retire.
    Now going to keep the old bike and use for longer endurance rides so am looking to get new shifters plus front and rear mechs – maybe not straight away but in the next month or so.
    Noticed Merlin have a good deal on XT but also like the look of Sram XO which is more expensive and I've only ridden once before.
    Which should I go for and are there any deals around which people can point me in the direction of??
    Cheers

GEDA
    Free Member

£130 a good deal????

whytetrash

Love the XO myself run it for nearly 3 years now, nice clunky changes, lightweight, bling looks you very rarely need to adjust the indexing, these are the main positives

downside is cost though CRC had the rear mech for £99 the other day, Merlin often have deals on the shifters

in use the only issue/quirk is if you don't move your thumb quick it will double shift down as they are lightening fast

mrben100
    Free Member

Got X9 shifters on my new steed and absolutely love them. Previously had SLX triggers which I thought were good until now.

CRC got front and rear X0 shifters at the moment for about £130.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8913

(I can't quite afford to properly join in your XT vs X0 thread, but I'm almost there!)

DT78
    Free Member

I use the x9 kit that came on my nomad. absolutley no complaints. I still have the old XT shifter & mech from my vp free which is now seeing service on my dmr. I can't spot any difference in feel and both mega reliable. Suppose it will come down to your preference for cost / weight / bling – I think the performance is the same.

If I had money to burn I'd be going for colour matching X0 🙂

mrben100
    Free Member

DT78 – New bike came with X0 rear mech in tango orange. Currently saving for Tango Orange shifters and rear cassette.

Who knows, one day I might even ride the damn thing. 🙂

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Switched from Shimano to SRAM for a couple of years and liked the clunky shifting of the SRAM. However I just found it to be a bit fragile (or maybe I'm just cack fisted). I went through a few shifters and even more mechs.

Now back to Shimano- much better value for money IMO.

sailor74
    Free Member

if i was building up a bike i would go with sram, much more positive shifting.

dogmatix

got sram on my DH and xt on my trail bike… and thats about how id keep it… like having the shadow mech and multiple shifts on trail bike.. but like having clear load shifts on my DH… like the security of sram for dh.. but like the speed (transitions from down to up) of xt for trails… i think xt just feel a bit lighter and more agile for trail… think they are both very good nowadays… so it really is a case of what feels right for you.

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

Another one for SRAM here 8)

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Have one with X0 and one XTR, and the XTR wins for me after two years riding, just prefer push/pull instead of push/push, not a lot to choose in the shifting other than that.

Trimix
    Free Member

SRAM is looks great, till you see the price and try to buy replacement bits. Wait till you win the lottery. In the meantime buy Shimano.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

X9's work perfectly for me. Really like the very positive feel, though that is personal preference. Don't see the point of X0, especially on a Nomad where weight is not a critical issue. The 0 carbon cage is pretty easy to break

solman
    Free Member

Do the bearings in the jockey wheels seize up as bad as the old ones(pre 2007 models)???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which Shifters – Sram or Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.