Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • which roadie pedal system?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Will do Iain. Just looking for the best deal/x% off email from wiggle before I buy. Will probably be in the next month.

clubber
    Free Member

rkk01 – bont shoes can be had for £100-£125 if you look around – very happy with my A-threes – I also have wide feet and these seem to fit really well.

Aus
    Free Member

New to road riding here, and just been using my mtb shoes with Time mtb pedals … genuine qn – what’s the benefits of road shoes/pedals (have been wondering as have some odd stares from roadies at my v muddy/battered shoe-wear!)

jota180
    Free Member

genuine qn – what’s the benefits of road shoes/pedals (have been wondering as have some odd stares from roadies at my v muddy/battered shoe-wear!)

Not a great deal, I reckon

I use Time ATACs through the Winter as it means I can use my Shimano Winter MTB boots, SPD-SL for summer use as my Sidis only take that sort of cleat

Lifer
    Free Member

Aus – Member
    New to road riding here, and just been using my mtb shoes with Time mtb pedals … genuine qn – what’s the benefits of road shoes/pedals

I found with MTB shoes and pedals (Spesh Tahoes and Candys) I was getting a ‘hot-spot’ on my foot where the cleat was, on longer rides this got quite painful. Never experienced it off-road even on 4-5hr rides.

With cheap DHB shoes and cheap Exustar pedals there’s no discomfort at all and can definitely feel the difference in stiffness.

Gary_M
    Free Member

have been wondering as have some odd stares from roadies at my v muddy/battered shoe-wear!

They must have ben very slow if they had time to look at your shoes then stare at you.

Anyway I use spd’s on my commuting road bike, 20 miles each way commute and don’t have an issue using them, no hot spots or discomfort.

On longer, faster road rides I found I got hot spots using spd’s.

If you only do short rides then stick to spd’s if you’re happy with them.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Can’t believe I haven’t seen anyone suggest this but surely the right answer is a correctly set up set of pedals is 90% more important than the brand etc.

Because of my knee problems I spent 6mths riding on flats using my road bike. I used this time to contact the lbs about their experience of cleats etc. to say they didn’t know much about setting them up was being kind. Then I contacted the local club riders. The chairman their listened to my concerns and personally helped me set things up correctly. I dare say if I had used whatever road specific system then it would have had the same results.

Rather than ask what system everyone uses, the question should be how do you set them up properly and who offers this service.

IMO of course

crikey
    Free Member

Macavity, druidh was talking about Look pedals, not Mavic.

Also, you do like pushing the services of a particular bikefit chap, are you connected with his business?

Macavity
    Free Member

crikey
    Free Member

Yes Dear, I’m aware of the claims made for mid-foot cleat positioning, as I am aware of the craze for L-shaped cranks…

Macavity
    Free Member

Sandwich

I use an old pair of Crank road pedals, the platform is a bit bigger than the Candy one but smaller than a Mallet. Very comfy and so far not needed any attention.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Because (particularly on the road) I choose my equipment for riding, not for the 0.01% of time I may spend walking? Jeans and a t-shirt would be better for those occasions, but I’ll still ride in cycling kit!

Doesn’t matter how stiff an MTB shoe is, road shoes feel better.

slight thread resurrection as Ive been away riding in wales for a few days, but if youd read my entire posts the point i was making was that many road shoes are identical to their MTB counterparts save the tread blocks (my diadora chilis and other half’s mavic shoes have road versions), so if there is nothing wrong with SPD per se (ie. the cleat isnt too small) what is the benefit? How does a road shoe “feel” better purely by virtue of not having tread blocks on the sole? How is a carbon soled road racing shoe better than a carbon soled mtb shoe? Not trolling I am considering buying roadie specific shoes and pedals having got “into” road riding, but having looked at low-mid range shimano shoes (on the grounds I could use them with my M520 SPDs initially and I wasnt going to spend a fortune) was struggling to see an advantage when they appear to be MTB shoes minus the tread?

how is this (RO77)

better than this (M077)? Is the sole stiffer even with the same uppers?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘which roadie pedal system?’ is closed to new replies.