Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which road bike for a grand?
  • rhysboy1
    Free Member

Cycle to work Scheme so I’m limited to £1000 and it must be from a bike shop so only major brands please (Spec, Giant, etc).
    The Specialized Allez looks good for the price, any other ideas?

MrNutt
    Free Member

wilier?

rhysboy1
    Free Member

Which model? Got a link?

speaker2animals

Don’t Wiggle do bike scheme? If so look at Focus. Great value/spec. Boardman from Halfords. There’s a carbon with SRAM Rival compact for £999.00.

gingerflash

A mate got a full carbon ultegra Ribble for £999. Very nice indeed.

Ed2001
    Free Member

I’d maybe go for a dolan mythos or kiron scandium, if I had to plumb for one I’d go for the kiron , very good frame and decent kit.

colnagokid

Evans were selling 08 Spec Tarmac for £999, might still have some

stufield
    Free Member

have a look at http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk they have some pretty mean builds for £1000 or less

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

Two recommendations that you really can’t go wrong with.

I bought a Planet X SL full carbon bike with 105 throughout via my company’s ride to work scheme (Halfords), back then it was £999. http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk

My best mate did the same thing but got himself a Focus full carbon setup, via Wiggle on his cycle to work scheme.

I love my Planet X to bits. The single most comfortable bike to ride I have ever owned. Scary fast as well.

Ribble also have a similar deal.

finbar
    Free Member

Ooh, that Caad 9 is niiice. Gets my vote.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

willier triestina mirage.

well nice and looks like a 2K bike.

very nice to ride too.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

linky

singletrick
    Free Member

Got a cycling plus recently with a road bike under a grand test.

They rated the Boardman bike at that price point and also the new focus cayo from wiggle, they also highly regard the Kiron also from wiggle.

I got a Kiron, seems nice…

Farmer_John
    Free Member

you don’t need to be constrained by the bike to work scheme £1K limit.

I bought mine from a small retailer who let me pick something well over £1K. They gave me one hand written receipt for the bike at £1K for me to submit to my employer, and another receipt to me for the actual sale price – I paid the difference between the two.

gingerflash

“looks like a 2K bike”

The Willer looks more like a £300 bike to me. 🙁
    Nasty looking chainset and very cheap-looking finishing parts. pink paint and red wheels?

I’m sure the frame rides nicely, but it looks a bit of a mess to my eyes.

Bez

Had the same decision myself last summer – though with the added fun of finding something with suitable geometry for me at 6’4″.

I think I pretty much considered everything but in the end had a final shortlist of 3: the Trek 1.9, Lemond Alpe D’Huez and the Cannondale CAAD9.

The Trek was first out; the Lemond was a real contender but the componentry put me off; the CAAD9 won out, albeit with a change to a 53/39 chainset and a short rear mech. Although at least then it was a grand – I notice from the above link it’s gone up 🙂

And it rocks. Only thing to be mindful of is if you have a heel-in pedalling style: there ain’t much clearance.

aP
    Free Member

Looks much better in black, UT chainsets are pretty good and are much better looking than those minging shimano ones – and don’t rely on plastic preload washers, ergopower levers are nice to hold (and the new 09 shape are very comfy), Fulcrum 7 wheels are a reasonable entry level wheelset and have the advantage of being designed by Campagnolo.

gingerflash

It does look a bit better in black, and with a silver chainset.

aP
    Free Member

You know what people say about Italian style – after all Russians buy quite a lot of it.

Kiril
    Free Member

I’m in the same quandry myself; I fancy a Cannondale synapse due to a bad back, unfortunately the “better” carbon frame makes it £1600 and too much. I would buy the Kiron recommended above but on the wiggle site it’s discontinued and the C2W scheme doesn’t start until April.

I suspect that the Boardman will be rather stiff

…..shopping continues…..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which road bike for a grand?’ is closed to new replies.