Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which replacement crankset for a Brompton?
  • bentudder

The chainring on my S3 is hammered, and I need to change it out. Unfortunately, it’s the one piece cranks and chainring. Can I whack an Alfine chainset on? What do people use, and what would you recommend? I’m doing about 85 miles a week to and from work, and I’d rather get something with a chainring I can flip and replace.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ben Cooper will be your expert. but I’m pretty sure you can run any road crank of your choice.

A quick google image search for “brompton crankset” shows all manner of ideas including Zipp carbons and what looks suspiciously like middleburns.

(2013 brommie cranks do have interchangeable rings)

bentudder

Ta chap. It does look like there’s oodles of clearance there, but I wasn’t sure about chainline and all that jazz.

Maybe I won’t go for the Zipps after ordering the Udderlet’s Cnoc 14 just now.

bencooper
    Free Member

Most chainsets with the ring in the middle position are okay – just make sure you have enough clearance between the chainring or spider and the rear frame at the pivot.

Also, if you’ve got the folding pedal, you want a crankset which doesn’t have too much metal around the pedal hole on the left side. Or you can cut away the spare metal if you have to – that’s what I do with 33t chainsets for my 8-Spd kits.

bentudder

Thanks, Ben!
    I’m using SPDs, so great advice.
    Annoyingly, I have a couple of spare pairs of MTB cranks, but not road cranks. Grr.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The originals are still available and pretty light.

RSXs fitted OK on mine also, just about.

LenHankie
    bentudder

Thanks all. Looks like I should have asked a bit earlier! Riding in to work on Tuesday, a heard / felt one of the pawls snap in the hub (I’ve done this before) and lost the lowest gear as a result. No problem – my shop has a few spares and the nouse to tinker with those hubs. Then, on the way back, I stood on the pedals to accelerate away from the lights – and went over the bars. Nothing hurt but my pride, but the drivetrain definitely needs replacing – the teeth are beyond worn and the chain beyond stretched. I have a spare chain and a replacement sprocket, now I just need the chainset… I’ve been scouring eBay, and will let you know how I get on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which replacement crankset for a Brompton?’ is closed to new replies.