Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Which regional UK accent do you dislike the most??
  • onehundredthidiot

Reminded me of this project where they were trying to record regional accents and phrases for certain words.

Hawick speak

5plusn8
    Free Member

For some reason if you draw a line from Liverpool through Manchester and into the sea and go 50 miles above and below, all the accents around there seem to grate. But then I hate my own sort of south east estuary-ish accent even more.

unovolo
    Free Member

Essexxxxxx………Mark Wright, Joey Essex and Co, just cant listen to them I have to turn the TV over if they appear on something.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Any accent where the owner feels that have to over-emphasise to the rest of us where they come from.

wrecker
    Free Member

Glaswegian, Scouse.
    The whole street ‘ting is seriously **** cringey though. I wish that shit would die.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

Elliot has it nailed. As for the Essex accent of joey Essex etc, they have London accents. Real Essex accents a bit different lol

john_drummer
    Free Member

Real Essex accents a bit different lol

I used to work for a company that had a factory near the Essex/Suffolk border. Oo arr bootiful it were

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Anyone who sounds like they’re off Eastenders, especially women. I make perfectly rational informed judgements of you instantly, if you have “that” accent.

enfht
    Free Member

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by their accent, but by the content of their character.

Otherwise, wherever in Siberia Nicola Sturgeon hails from.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

English ones

globalti
    Free Member

Any fake regional accent, i.e. as affected by radio presenters in an effort to make themselves sound cool. Following closely behind is the habit of dropping Ts and pronouncing words ending -er as -ah, as in “Manchestah”. It makes the speaker sound like a complete fake.

Amusingly, in some words you can’t drop the T, as in Manchestah, which would sound really bogus as “Manchesah”

DrJ

Amusingly, in some words you can’t drop the T, as in Manchestah, which would sound really bogus as “Manchesah”

Bit tangential but in some varieties of north-east accents Ts do get dropped from surprising places.

spawnofyorkshire

Shame when people feel the need to hide their heritage eg Bliar going estuary or that ballet lady on Stictly

I was more heading in that direction than dragging against recieved pronunciation. Proper RP is fine if that’s your heritage, fake RP when you’re from somerset or barnsley is the the type that grates

hodgynd
    Free Member

As a young teen living in North West Durham ..we were frequently amused by the landlords mother answering the phone behind the bar in our local ..when her strong geordie accent took a turn for the “better” ..
    On one lunchtime session being unable to find her son( the call was for him) and having quite a full bar as an audience she took it upon herself to answer the callers query regarding an unpaid invoice ..leaving the caller to hang for a minute or two while she pretended to be looking for it she then picked up the handset and in her best Mrs.Bucket ( booQ ) pronounced ” I’m really terribly sorry ..but he seems to have hoyed it in the bin “..ended the call and then wondered why we were all doubled up on the floor with laughter ..
    Hoyed= (Geordie for thrown)

I guess you had to be there though 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That whole South London/Croyden/Grime/Mandem/RoadMan type thing is the absolute worst

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MtlR1I20M[/video]

Brummie is the most unfortunate.

DrJ

that ballet lady on Stictly

Darcey Bussell? What heritage is she covering up?

ourmaninthenorth

Darcey Bussell? What heritage is she covering up?

A swipe at Darcey’s parents I should think:

CountZero

For me, it’s the “fake posh” accent that’s creeping in especially with young women. First noticed it at my old workplace, they became more and more like it over time, and in the 9 years I’ve been in Bristol, it’s become incredibly obvious.

Living close enough to Brissle to be familiar with the accent, I’m hardly surprised.

slackalice
    Free Member

I do like some regional accents, of those that spring to mind are the pleasing mix of Irish tones in County Fermanagh, geordie I like and the rising inflection of Norfolk too.

However, the central south coast Southampton/Portsmouth accent is plain wrong on every level and I’m so very glad I no longer endure them on a daily basis.

Hohum
    Free Member

Rough Scottish accents.

Particularly from the central belt.

Yuck!

RustySpanner

globalti – Member
    …… and pronouncing words ending -er as -ah, as in “Manchestah”. It makes the speaker sound like a complete fake.

Not fake if you’re actually from central/north Manchester.

Adopted and exaggerated by **** in bands and DJ’s from Cheshire to try and sound more ‘street’.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Which regional UK accent do you dislike the most??’ is closed to new replies.