Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which Powerlink pliers?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looking on CRC there’s at least 3 to choose from.
    A Park at £10.99
    A BBB one at £8.49
    An X Tools version at £4.99
    There may be more but I haven’t looked.

I failed miserably at splitting my chain yesterday but It’s only about the 3rd time in 2 years I’ve needed to.
    I like functionality & VFM but has anyone used them all & which one do you like best?
    Ta!

stevied
    Free Member

Only used the BBB ones but perfectly functional.

righog
    Free Member

These are the only type I have used they work great

link pliers

The “three legged type” maybe not these exact ones

GolfChick
    Free Member

jobsworth pair from planet x work perfectly too!

prawny

Got some from Evans (couldn’t be bothered to wait for the post) they were cheap and work fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Really like the look of those 3 legged type. There have been occasions where they would have been very useful.

jruk
    Free Member

Does using ‘proper’ pliers mean it’s easier to reuse links that aren’t supposed to be reused?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes.

andyha
    Free Member

It’s the Park ones for me but I’m sure they are all the same.

andyl
    Free Member

BBB ones here, work perfect on 11 speed links. Make sure you get ones that open AND close. Some only do either

sirromj

Just filed some old pliars into the right shape.

theotherjonv

ones that close?

Just fit it and pull the chain to close it. If you don’t want to dirty your hands and don’t have disposable gloves in your pack, fit it, spin it gently to the top run, put the brake on and use the pedal to pull it shut.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I just use normal pliers

Daffy

Me too.

andyl
    Free Member

ones that close?

Just fit it and pull the chain to close it. If you don’t want to dirty your hands and don’t have disposable gloves in your pack, fit it, spin it gently to the top run, put the brake on and use the pedal to pull it shut.

I’m not going to take my link pliers on a ride. In the workshop it’s much nicer to be able to close the link with the pliers in the stand and then run the gearing through a test without messing around pulling a chain or using the cranks to do it. The Park and BBB ones do both in the same tool so it’s not like it costs you anything.

benpinnick

Just fit it and pull the chain to close it.

im with Andy, Using the proper tool is quicker and less likely to damage the link if its off a bit. No point buying a one way tool when there are so many 2 way options. Personally I have the Topeak one and I like it, but its at the top end of the quoted prices.

granny_ring

I’m sure it is easier using some pliers to close the chain but it’s not the end of the world to close it like theotherjonv said.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem closing a link, It’s getting them apart that’s often a problem. Like a CV joint on a car, It’s either 1st tweek or takes ages.
    I’m gonna go for the BBB ones cos they do both anyway.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-open-link-closing-link-tool-btl77/rp-prod47439

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I bought the Park ones and am very happy

Matt24k
    Free Member

+1 for BBB.

yoshimi

I made one of these – works a treat

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-IRjYjgQBc[/video]

rocketman
    Free Member

X Tools version at £4.99

theotherjonv

I’m not going to take my link pliers on a ride.

For the cost, weight and ride saving potential I now have a £5 pair sat somewhere in my Camelbak, as well as a pair at home.

I wasn’t criticising the 3-legged types, just didn’t even know they existed when closing a link was so simple without. I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for that function, and i won’t be replacing my old skool ones now i do know.

honourablegeorge

BBB does both, and is nice and compact. And cheap.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got the Park ones – they do a fine job (I only bought them as I had a Wiggle voucher to use up)

However prior to buying them I used to use a pair of pound shop circlip pliers with slightly bent ends which also worked perfectly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which Powerlink pliers?’ is closed to new replies.