Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • which photo hosting site…?
  • fadda

It’s time I joined the 21st century, so –

I’d like to have somewhere I can easily store pics (just snaps, nothing clever), mostly from my phone. Maybe the odd video clip, and I’d like to be able to organise them somehow, besides by date.. a quick search reveals not much, besides an amusing thread started by realman (or something like that) about a week ago.

What do you with-it youngsters favour, these days…?

Drac

If your jut wanting to host photos then Flickr, if you wanting a gallery type software or wanting to plan to go a step further then I use Just-host for webspace.

sadexpunk

i use googles picasa, but no idea how it compares to others.

big_scot_nanny

FWIW I use photobucket. Does what it says on the tin, works well and has a reasonably good iPad app too.

Kev

donsimon
    Free Member

Flickr is fine and free.

CheesybeanZ

as a middle aged techno numpty Flickr seems easy to use .

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use Flickr and Picasa.

Flickr is good if you want community style stuff. In it’s free form it’s limited to 200 photos, so not that useful. The interface is crap (IMO).

Picasa is unlimited to the number of photos but is limited to 1GB. It has an excellent desktop application which will take care (amongst other things) of uploading images. It will also resize them for you, and if you go for a web-friendly 800×600 you’ll get 10,000 photos into 1GB. Picasa’s weakness is lack of community based stuff.

Drac

Flickr Pro is well worth the money at $24.95 per year you get.

* Unlimited uploads and storage
    * Unlimited sets and collections
    * Access to your original files
    * Stats on your account
    * Ad-free browsing and sharing
    * HD playback for high-definition video uploads

Flickr also has phone apps and desktop software and as it’s unlimited you can upload at full size.

Sorry had to laugh at 800×600 being web friendly, well it was about 10 years ago but things have moved on somewhat.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I use Picasa on the desktop and Flickr on the web. You can upload to Flickr straight from Picasa these days.

fadda

Thanks for all this info, everyone. The phone i’m talking about is an Android one, so Google’s Picasa would seem to logically be a good idea, but what is the “community stuff” of which some of you speak…?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sorry had to laugh at 800×600 being web friendly, well it was about 10 years ago but things have moved on somewhat

Lets see you post a bigger image on here then 😉

Even if you go for 1600×1200 that’s still 2,500 images for free.

5thElefant
    Free Member

but what is the “community stuff” of which some of you speak…?

If you want to join like minded groups – hairy singlespeed freaks, bird spotting librarians – that kind of thing, flickr will have one for you. You can than comment on each others photos, chat on forums etc. This is flickr’s biggest strength.

Drac

Lets see you post a bigger image on here then

I can link to a bigger picture though say 6420×2200 😛

Even if you go for 1600×1200 that’s still 2,500 images for free.

Very true.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I can link to a bigger picture though say 6420×2200

Yeah, it all depends on your requirements (my online requirement is primarily to post images on forums) and whether you want to pay or not.

zokes
    Free Member

For my $25 or whatever it is per year, the piece of mind that I can still access the full-size 5000 or so jpegs on there if my PC and backups die is quite nice. I know there’s no easy way to download them all again, but they could easily just live there until I needed them if that were the case. The sets and collections let you be as organised (or disorganised) as you like too.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I know there’s no easy way to download them all again

There are lots of widgets that will let you do this

zokes
    Free Member

There are lots of widgets that will let you do this

Oooooh! I didn’t know that – do you know any good ones?

kiwijohn

Photobucket, for the iphone app & iphoto uploader plugin. Very user friendly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘which photo hosting site…?’ is closed to new replies.