Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which? PC or Laptop?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Going to need: decent amount of R.A.M to run modern software (ancient PC only has 500mb) – the usual domestic stuff – photos, video access (Youtube, iPlayer and the like), standard Word package, wireless modem, printer, DVD’s, CD burning…

So, 1: can I get a laptop to do all this plus Wifi, because if I can, I don’t need a PC?

creamegg
    Free Member

I have a Sony Vaio F series. 8gb Ram,Intel i7 processor, 500gb hard drive, bluray player/writer, HD screen,wireless etc use it for CAD work, 3d stuff, videos, pics and all the usual stuff. no issues so far but do need external HD’s for all my videos. quite pricy tho depending on your budget (£1400 ish)

cant see any need for a PC

mogrim

No real need these days for a desktop PC, unless you’re doing high-end video processing or whatever, even a netbook is perfectly capable of running Word etc. (Not that I’m suggesting a netbook: for starters they don’t have DVD players, let alone burners…)

The only other advantage is that a desktop is probably slightly more reliable than a laptop if you’ve got kids, a keyboard is a lot cheaper to replace if one of them spills something on it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Fortunately, no kids (that I know of…). 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

I still go for a dekstop for the office and netbooks for mobility.

You still get better spec/£ in a desktop than a laptop.

A desktop you can keep on slinging HDDs into.
    I use my desktop as a TV/PVR and watch on a 22″ wide screen
    My desktop serves as a NAS for the other computers in the house
    My desktop serves as a printer server for other copmuters in the house (over wifi)

All but the first of those is doable with a laptop, but with a desktop its just easier day-to-day.

Mrs S has a massive Dell laptop, which is great but hardly “portable” and battery life isnt amazing.

I have a couple of netbooks (cost about £120 each) which I use for work with just Chrome and Excel on them and 1 or 1.5Gb of RAM. Muchos portable, and with the battery extender I can get 9hrs out of one a charge.

molgrips
    Free Member

quite pricy tho depending on your budget (£1400 ish)

cant see any need for a PC

Well you countered your own point there. A desktop with all that stuff on it would cost way less.

You get MUCH better spec. And it’s not just the headline items. A desktop PC, if built from known components will have insides that work quicker on all levels.

Call up Aria or one of the online bits retailers, tell them what you want and have them assemble a system for you. It’ll be better than Dell etc and have no junk installed on it.

mogrim

A desktop with all that stuff on it would cost way less

But unless you really need “all that stuff” you’ll be losing out on the advantages of a bigger laptop – no, they’re not that portable, but they’re ideal for a non-permanent setup on the dining room table, for instance. Friends coming over? Clear it away into its bag, and you’re done. No need for a dedicated desk or table.

This is assuming (and it seems that way from the OP) that there are no real hardware requirements beyond the typical home use, and that real day-to-day mobility isn’t an issue.

creamegg
    Free Member

A desktop would be a pain to carry round which is why I have a loptop.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mogrim those things are only advantages if you need them.

Of course laptops are better for moving around, goes without saying, but if you never need to move it about a desktop is better and cheaper. That’s the first thing the OP needs to decide.

mogrim

Of course laptops are better for moving around, goes without saying, but if you never need to move it about a desktop is better and cheaper. That’s the first thing the OP needs to decide.

Totally agree!

molgrips
    Free Member

Desktops are also handy if you have much junk to attach. Scanner, printer etc if they aren’t wireless; dongle for downloading from your Polar HRM; another dongle for downloading from your Powertap; widget for plugging guitars into; webcam; cable for downloading from your camera etc etc are all things that either are or have been left permanently plugged into my desktop PC over the years. Easier than having to fish said dongle out of a drawer and balance it on the couch or something.

Of course you could set this all up at a desk then still have the laptop removable if you want, but then you still have a desk set up and need room for that. Which may or may not be an issue.

There’s also the docking station idea where you can have the ergonomic advantages of a desktop PC but still be able to easily grab the thing and move about. More expense though as docking stations are a lot of money for what they are.

Cletus
    grantway
    Free Member

Go for one of the new Apple Mac Book Pros

grantway
    Free Member

Damn double post.

Cougar

I was in a similar position a little while back.

After spending ages speccing up a desktop PC, it boiled down to me proposing to build a gaming rig for Warcraft. So, now I’ve got a laptop instead for day-to-day spodding, the 360 for my gaming needs, and the old PC is now a ‘server’ of sorts as Molgrips suggests. The PC has a couple of reasonable-sized disks in it, the printer connected to it, and acts as a media server to stream films etc to the TV via the 360. I appreciate that it’s not perfect for everyone, but personally I’ve never looked back.

With a desktop PC you get more horsepower per ££, a bigger box for upgrades (eg, more storage) and it’s really the only sensible solution if you want a gaming-class video card. With a laptop you can sit in a comfy chair typing replies on STW whilst watching women in obscenely short skirts play tennis on the telly. For example.

Conqueror
    Free Member

self build desktop + refurbished/on sale netbook

best of both worlds

Gribs

For your requirements even a ccheapish £400 laptop will do everything you want. However a desktop with a biggish (24″+) monitor is much nicer to work with if you’ve got the space.

Cougar

Monitors can be plugged into laptops.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thanks, all.

I’ve an old laptop in the lounge already for “comfy chair typing replies on STW whilst watching women in obscenely short skirts play tennis on the telly.”

I’ve a dedicated desk setup in another room and I’m also fond of “cheap” and “more bang for the buck” with multiple inputs so a desktop it is.

STW forum – all you need to know about everything…

molgrips
    Free Member
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which? PC or Laptop?’ is closed to new replies.