Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which part of Scotland to blow up on an OS wall map?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I don’t have a very strong connection to a particular wee part of Scotland, but really want a large 1:25000 wall map to put up in the hallway, partly so the wee ones grow up knowing what a map is and perhaps interested in it’s appearance (I think maps are works of art, beautiful things!).

So which part of Scotland would look particularly nice on a wall map? I thought some mountains and sea, maybe Loch Leven, or Arran. Any other ones?

km79
    Free Member

I seen a website selling such posters and wallpapers before, I know there are several but this one let you define the dimensions and centre of the map giving you a preview of what it would cover.

From memory the 1:50000 looked better than the 1:25000 which looked a bit lifeless in comparison. I was going to get one of the Cairngorms but never got round to it. I think Arran might look good if you can get it all on a poster, added bonus of being an adventure to go there and check it out in person.

I will see if I can find the site again later.

scotroutes

Loch Torridon area. Mountains, sea and lots of interest.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Argyll and Bute.
    Lovely part of the world.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d agree, 1:50000 usually looks better for Scotland. Especially for mountains, where the 1:25000 is cluttered with contour lines and little grey symbols for rocks. Plus you can cover a bigger area.

As for where, depends on how big a map you want. Maybe part of Skye? Or the Small Isles, especially Rum for interesting mountains. Though that might be a bit too much sea.

Or I think an old OS map would look lovely on the wall. You can buy sheets from the National Library of Scotland.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d put up a 1:25000 verision of your local area, that way, as the children grow, they can actually use it and get to know their own locale.

xora

The best bit of Scotland to “blow up” and re-map is obviously Stranraer 😀

bruneep

VIZ map?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

M8 corridor obvs

parkesie
    Free Member

We’ve covered an entire wall in 50s os maps of Scotland and Wales takes ages to go up stairs some days.

tuboflard

OS Landranger 49 (Oban) is nice. Or 40 (Mallaig). Ordnance Survey do custom maps too centred on any point and with custom title and cover photo too which are a good idea, friend of mine had one centred on his house titled “My Back Yard”.

StirlingCrispin

The bit where you live.

Or Stirling and the Ochils 🙂

StirlingCrispin

(I have a satellite map of Glasgow and the west coast on our stairs)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😉

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Get a geological map, prettier colours, especially Scotland.

stevious

I’d go for Torridon for the aesthetics of the place. Either 1:50k or the Harveys 1:40k if you’d like a bit more colour.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Airdrie.

CountZero

How about around Kinlochleven and Glen Coe?
    This is just a small section that I could screen grab from my Pad…

martinhutch

Cuillin Ridge, Skye, although I suppose that’s more iconic in mountaineering terms.

scotroutes

Iconic area but a rubbish map. The OS simply fail. The only map really worth getting is the Harvey’s 1:25k with the more detailed 1:12500 enlargement.

pyranha

If I were looking for a map for the wall, I would probably lean towards a Harvey’s one. They used to have a shop in Doune (long time since I’ve been there, so maybe still), which was nice to visit. We were given a laminated OS 1:25000 centred on our house, as a housewarming present. It’s neither pretty nor useful. Of course, the Harvey’s walking ones are of specific ‘interesting’ areas, which might help. If you do prefer OS, then I would agree with the 1:50000 suggestions above, but then I’m old and that’s the ‘right’ scale for Scotland!

crankboy
    Free Member

https://goo.gl/images/CL6nwf
    Ardnamurchan has lochs sea mountains (ish) and a MASSIVE vocanic crater the end! it looks good as a geological map too.

coconut
    Free Member

Uk geology map, people love looking at these.

epicyclo

seosamh77 – Member
    I’d put up a 1:25000 verision of your local area, that way, as the children grow, they can actually use it and get to know their own locale.

Best idea.

Otherwise I’d suggest the length of the Great Glen depending on the size of your wall.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which part of Scotland to blow up on an OS wall map?’ is closed to new replies.