Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which outdoor trip in the UK to take a visitor from Boulder, CO
  • thewanderer
    Free Member

Wanting to show my mate a good couple of days of the best of the British (well English/Welsh) outdoors.

I live in the SE. He’s used to big mountains and the playground that is Colorado – but isn’t the most skilled technically on a MTB. Looking for a 1 possibly 2 day trip from the SE.

Was thinking drive up to Snowdonia ride Coed y Brenin (trail centers would be a different experience for him) in the afternoon and walk the Snowdon horseshoe the morning (including Crib Goch).

or maybe ride rangers….

What do y’all think? Is there a natural trail I should be doing instead? Somewhere closer? I’ve taken him on a tour of the North Downs on a previous occasion.

What do y’all think?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fly to Scotland?
    Big natural ride in the lakes?

mogrim

I’d be taking him on something a bit more stereotypically English – rolling countryside, ideally with a couple of castles or henges you could head past. And a tea shop with cake 🙂

thewanderer
    Free Member

We rode up to Leith hill tower last time… doesn’t that count?

jekkyl

cadair idris and coedybrenin, if you don’t want to travel as far north as the lakes. But if you, the lakes.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m with mogrim, no point trying to compete with Colorado for mountains I’d go South coast, Ride round Studland, big sea views, have a mooch around Corfe Castle, fish ‘n’ chips by the Sea, chain ferry back over to Sandbanks for crazy golf. Just a relaxing day fannying around on the bikes.

An old school friend came over from Colorado recently after having not been in the UK for 30 years. All he wanted to do was to take in the English countryside and eat fish, chips and kebabs. All of which were not available to him back home.

if you really wanted to be more outdoorsy then the Peak district isn’t like anything in Colorado so could make a good trip.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Studland is a good suggestion… I’m fully aware of how good CO is…. oh to do the Monarch Crest again! and Grand Junction… and Crested Butte…

dragon
    Free Member

no point trying to compete with Colorado for mountains

Disagree, I’ve know a few Colorado residents who have been amazed by Snowdonia, as they were really impressed by the way the mountains come out almost straight from the sea and felt it gave them a bigger sense of scale. (I’m sure west coast of Scotland would also get the same reaction.)

Also Colorado is miles away from the sea, so a good golden sand beach in North Wales should be chucked in. Plus a few days in the Cotswolds and / or Chilterns for a proper English chocolate box village feel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s a good place not far from J15 on the M4…..

dragon
    Free Member

North Wales has great castles also. So yes go to North Wales.

Or alternatively CFH’s suggestion as what Yanks couldn’t fall for the magic charms of Swindon 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve given a few USA people tours in the UK and a big difference is pubs and the like. For me the Peak district would be a good area. Lots of views; pick a nice route with the correct amount of tech and the opportunity to stop at an establishment for lunch etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Snowdonia or Lakes, but probably the Lakes for the greater choice of trails.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Cannock….?

lol

scaredypants

There’s a good place not far from J15 on the M4…..

[quote]but isn’t the most skilled technically on a MTB[/quote]Could well turn out fatal, flash 😐

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much space!

😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’d go South coast, Ride round Studland, big sea views, have a mooch around Corfe Castle, fish ‘n’ chips by the Sea, chain ferry back over to Sandbanks for crazy golf. Just a relaxing day fannying around on the bikes.

in a similar vein i think the best (most scenic) road ride the south has to offer is the coast road between poole/ purbecks/ westbay.

Some great mtb (old school XC type) to be had round there too. charlie bikemonger would give you a steer.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Seaside and pubs.
    Might be a bit cold for the nudists at Studland!

jimdubleyou

The Dorset Gravel Dash was a great route for Purbeck.

Some of the scenery is amazing, + there’s a castle & at least two forts at the top of tiny little* hills.

* the cake is a lie, so is this.

teasel
    Free Member

I love Studland and Swanage – grew up kicking about on those shores and beachfront arcades, crab fishing off the harbour wall whilst eating fish and chips with bloodwormy hands.

Love clotted cream and unpasturaised milk, too.

That is all

thewanderer
    Free Member

Studland it is.

Could someone please point me in the direction of a good route… taking in cliff views, Corfe, Square & Compass + singletrack goodness?

From my research I understand the Routes in STW use a lot of road.

Thanks!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which outdoor trip in the UK to take a visitor from Boulder, CO’ is closed to new replies.