Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which new compact camera?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Looking for a new camera to replace our cheap £50 Hitachi jobbie. The Hitachi is pretty good for everything we want from it apart from when taking photos at night or in the dark. The pics are really blurry as the lens is open so long you cant hold it still for long enough.

We are going to New York in a couple of weeks for honeymoon and so reckon we'll take a fair few pics at night and dont want a rubbish camera to ruin our memories of our honeymoon. We have a maximum of £100 to spend on a new camera which i know isn't a huge amount but we feel we should be able to get a half decent camera for that money. The only other stipulation we have is that it needs to take an SD card so not a Sony.

Which cameras would people recommend in this price range? We have heard the Fujis can be good for low light photos, is this true and if so is the J30 or Z35 a decent camera? How does the Nikon S220 compare? These are 3 of our favourites from looking around.

I know there are a few photographer types on here so there must be a wealth of knowledge on compact cameras which are good in dark/night situations. Please help…

the-muffin-man

bump – also interested in this!

HTTP404
    Free Member

We have heard the Fujis can be good for low light photos

They must be referring to Fuji's new EXR photosensor.
    This is only in a few of their cameras and is badged and modelled with EXR in their name (F70EXR, F200EXR etc).

Looks like your budget is around the £100 mark?

(The EXR range is significantly more than that).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My old Fuji F20 was an absolute gem until I lost it. The F30/F31, if you can find one, is probably the pinnacle of the Fujifilm tree for photo quality and usability at the moment, despite being a few years old.

The replacement F60 is OK and seems to have most of the decent Fuji elements, but is a little too faddy and Microsoft 'it looks like you're writing a letter'. On the flipside, it still takes a decent shot and because it's been superceded already only cost me £120.

Milkie
    Free Member

I know there are a few photographer types on here so there must be a wealth of knowledge on compact cameras which are good in dark/night situations. Please help…

Yup, but not at £100. I would suggest a Nikon dSLR for low light, as I've heard they are good along with a fast lens f1.4-2.8.

swoosh
    Free Member

i realise there are better cameras available if you pay more than £100 but that is the budget i have so cannot get something costing 2 or 3 times that! But what i do want is the best for the money i have.

russjp
    Free Member

I bought a Kodak MD41 from Currys at the weekend Reduced from £200 to £80. 12.2 mp, nice big screen and good reveiws.

http://www.currys.co.uk/product.php?sku=372252&camp_id=froogle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which new compact camera?’ is closed to new replies.