Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which new 26" Rear Wheel for XC? Recommendations please
  • grtdkad

As above really – any recommendations for a light, strong rear, disc braked wheel?

Budget of around £150-£200 for a mainly XC, 200lb HT rider

What’s good? Minded to look at an XT Wheelset or revert back to a familiar Mavic 717 and XT Hub but am I missing a trick?

Any deals available?

crftom
    Free Member

Hope hub mavic rim

grtdkad

Thanks CRF, any specifics that you would recommend?

crftom
    Free Member
    grtdkad

That looks nice!

richardg
    Free Member

I’ve got to recommend Bontrager Rythym Comps. I’ve had mine for three years and had no bother at all. Used them for racing and blasting around at Afan. The icing on the cake is the tubeless set up that bontrager offer. They make a custom formed rim strip and valve that makes going tubeless a doddle. Been running my normal nobby nics tubeless for 5 months and loving it. Here’s a link to Evans. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/rhythm-comp-tlr-disc-rear-wheel-ec032966?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle.

mattjg
    Free Member

Stan’s Crest Hope Hoop, light as ****, run ’em tubeless.

grtdkad

Matt
    Like the idea of another Stans ZTR Crest
    I have one already with an OnOne hub. What hub do you reckon? Tempting to play safe with an XT ??

wolfy35
    Free Member

A hope hub/ mavic rim combination is my personal fave but dont forget that no matter how much you spend on components the wheel will only ever be as good as the builder.

mattjg
    Free Member

My hubs are Hope Evo 2 (Hope Hoop). Sorry I can’t say anything meaningful about them, as I don’t know much about hubs, save the rear was a bit loud when I first had it but is fine now, and converting the front from QR to 15mm took 30 seconds.

I have Hope brakes and I like that they are easy to service, there are plenty of spares**, and they are UK designed and made.

** especially compared to my Truvativ 2×10 crankset for which new chainrings are nigh-on unobtainable.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which new 26" Rear Wheel for XC? Recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.