Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Which myth?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner Jr is old enough this year for the full on christmas thing.

So which myth do we let him believe in – Santa Claus or Jesus?
    I think they’re mutually exclusive (and my money’s not on the latter), Mrs S thinks otherwise.

iDave
    Free Member

myth? is there something I haven’t been told?

Pieface

Mr Hankey

emsz
    Free Member

Santa.

samuri
    Free Member

Nah, both is fine. No difference between one imaginary friend and two is there?

Northwind

Santa is better since there’s almost no risk that he’ll be stuck believing it for life.

djglover
    Free Member

Jesus and Santa Claus, are you American?

Junkyard
    Free Member

oddly enough was discussing myths today with my 5 year old. He accepts Odysseus lived but the stories are not true – cyclops etc. He accpepts Jesus lived but the stories are not true.
    After discussing Santa I asked him what he thought might be a myth he said – Danny Macaskill!!
    Essentially they are both a lie and I was not comfortable BS to my child. why not just say here I love you I got you this? I was outvoted on this so Santa wins as the lesser of two evils.
    not sure they are mutually exclusive though

luked2
    Free Member

Jesus isn’t a myth. People don’t like to think about the implications though.

CountZero

I like Tiger Myths personally. <rimshot>

MrsToast
    Free Member

Celibate Jewish Zombie or fat bearded man who sneaks into your house, eats your mince pies and leaves presents for children? Decisions, decisions.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That if the wind changes his face’ll be stuck like that.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Jesus isn’t a myth.

He’s a very naughty boy.

sc-xc

Jesus isn’t a myth

Jethus was a mythster.

rs
    Free Member

jesus doesn’t come down your chimney bearing gifts see he can… er… go away!

sc-xc

In the old testament, they say that jesus can bum you til you can’t walk.

Hohum
    Free Member

Hmmm, I may be simple but we do both here…

Are they not complementary? Or can’t you at least figure a story to make them so?

I have to watch it though as once I was told off on a forum for lying to my children about the tooth fairy not coming one night.

grtdkad

Jyane Middlemyth?

Stoner
    Free Member

On a serious point though, I’m OK with him being taught the nativity in theological terms, but ultimately that it was a story.

If he wants to develop his own religious faith when he gets older, that’s fine, but I refuse to let him believe that religious stories are anything more than that.

loddrik
    Free Member

The Jesus story is too far fetched, along with God, whatever that is….

Father Christmas is a docu-soap by comparison.

My 5 year old thoroughly believes in father Christmas, but I hope she follows her dad in being of the opinion that all religion is a pile of superstitious nonsense.

I think she knows that the Gruffalo isn’t real so she’s on the right track.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stoner – tell him that all his Christmas presents came to him by virtue of the accumulative wealth which was created from fictitious capital as a result of free-market dynamics.

Like that he might grow up to share the same myths as his Father 💡

Stoner
    Free Member

I was planning on going for “the earthen toil of the working man providing succour for his bairns.” 😉

grtdkad

Yup. We’ve 3 kids and upset the grandparents when we didn’t do the whole christening thing.
    The kids have been encouraged to understand and respect the range of religious beliefs and gods and make up their own minds when they’re older.
    They’ve been told that while Jesus did exist – some ‘stories’ could be a bit fanciful! Also, the earth is more than 7000yrs old and it wasn’t made in a week.

Father Xmas does exist though!
    …. And according to the missus, if the 14yr old and 9yr old tell the 5yr old that he doesn’t then they jeopardise their presents on the big day!

Hohum
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    I was planning on going for “the earthen toil of the working man providing succour for his bairns.”

Sounds like you are going to have a right happy Christmas (as well as ernie) 😆

Talk about blowing a little one’s brains!

DaveGr
    Free Member

Father Xmas brings you lots of presents you can play with.

Jesus may save your soul but no presents under the Xmas tree.

I know which one works for me 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

just tell the child all pressies come online now within 24hrs of paypal payment and all theological beliefs have been replaced by our modern age of cynicism and science. Give him 40mg of Citalopram before bedtime and remind him sternly that the daft wonderment and imagination he has now will be replaced soon enough. There we go.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just tell him that Maggie comes down the chimney and brings the present. I mean, it’s been your fantasy (in a more adult fashion of course) for years hasn’t it? 😛

Coyote
    Free Member

Nicely put Kevevs.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im wondering how the Mr Men fit into kevevs world? Mr Happy’s an outcast, isnt he? 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

kevevs – do you want a hug?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Maybe not 40mg.

Kevevs
    Free Member

jeez guys, I’m just having a laugh! I don’t think my sense of humour comes across very well on here!
    I don’t see the problem with a little kiddie getting into santa and nativity plays and stuff, it’s not like they can make their minds up about stuff!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So you don’t want a hug? 🙁

trailmonkey

what’s the nipper going to get from spiritual fuzziness ? he just wants chocolate and wii games.

st nick ftw

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah why not 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Im inclined to go for Santa. I mean, we grow out of Santa Claus – the Myth.

Far too many people dont grow out of Jesus- The Myth.

Im not going to take the chance 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

tell him that all his Christmas presents came to him by virtue of the accumulative wealth which was created from fictitious capital as a result of free-market dynamics

and is he old enough for Santa to give him one of those pen knives with the special blade for removing bread from the mouths of the poor?

Kevevs
    Free Member

so what you’re saying is, you don’t trust your child to make up their own mind when they get older? I’d say, tell the child all the religious stories from all cultures, let the kid know there are different people about with different ideas, get the kid involved in the world as it is good or bad. that’d be cool! but I haven’t got a kid, I’ve got bikes, so don’t take any notice of me!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Im inclined to go for Santa. I mean, we grow out of Santa Claus – the Myth.

Agreed. And if he is struggling to grow out of it, you can always recount to him that hunt you once went on…….

That should put an end to it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

aww poor santa 🙁 who gets dead santas pressies?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Which myth?’ is closed to new replies.