Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which multimeter? For a cheapskate.
  • prettygreenparrot

Suggestions of what to consider & where to buy it please.

My cheap Maplin one just fell apart. I’m not minded to fix it.

Looking to spend <£100. Preferably closer to £50. Rules out a Fluke 🙁

Doesn’t have to be calibrated as it’s for home & hobby use.

Temp measurement would be handy.

Considered Dilog DL9102 and Amprobe 35XP-A. But only after quick googling.

drewd

I bought one of these from Maplin a few months back for £25 to replace my previous one that cost about £10 as the screen died.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/uni-trend-ut50a-manual-ranging-digital-multimeter-n77cb

I originally bought it to try and find a battery drain on my car and went for this one as it was fairly cheap but could measure current up to 20A, whereas others for similar cost only measured up to 10A.

It does the usual volts AC/DC, resistance, continuity, has a back light and measures temp. Don’t know how it compares to others but I am happy with it. If I was buying again I would consider an auto ranging one, but I don’t use them much so am not planning to replace it till it breaks.

aracer
    Free Member

Thats not cheapskate. The one I use was 2 for a fiver from Maplin. Doesnt do temperature, not autoranging (overrated IMHO Ive used expensive ones which are and rarely miss it, seems a good principle to have some idea what youre expecting) , but works just fine for 99%+ of what I want one for.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

aracer, I need something to check continuity across some silly electric UFH mat I have to lay in a few months (so I know I haven’t banjaxed it as I lay it). Would yours do that – any idea which one it was?

aracer
    Free Member

For continuity pretty much any of them will work – as indeed will a battery, some wires and a bulb! If you’re doing a lot of that then something which buzzes (which mine doesn’t) is handy as you don’t have to look at the display (you can get continuity meters which just buzz – I made one as part of a project to learn about electronic construction many years ago).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which multimeter? For a cheapskate.’ is closed to new replies.