Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which Multi tool with chain breaker?
  • tomkerton
    Free Member

Snapped my chain today.

Don’t want to do the push of shame again.

Please could you recommend a multi tool with chain breaker – SRAM chain.

Thank you.

Northwind

Topeak Hexus. Or one of their ratchetty things if that’s too boring. Or Lezyne do a couple that are prettier and better made but less good at actually being tools.

fasthaggis

Go Pedros ,go minimalist 🙂

yorkshire89
    Free Member

On-one £5 multi-tool is good. I only bought it to push my basket to over £20 for free delivery, so only cost £2.50!

bellefied
    Free Member

keep them separate, its a pain trying to use the chain tool attached to a multi tool if you need it on the “wheelside” of the chain – park tools mini brute will do the job and you wont notice it until you need it

Jamie
    Free Member
    warpcow
    Free Member

Crank Brothers m17 works quite nicely for such a small tool. Lezyne ones give no room to get any leverage if the link is even slightly stiff, imo.

alanf
    Free Member

Topeak alien – have had 2 different models (due to losing one – then finding it again) and the chain tool is excellent the few times I’ve needed to use it

adevaynes
    Free Member

topeak mini 18 the chain splitter separates from the multi tool for ease of use, all top quality tools aswell

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for the Hexus here.

andytherocketeer

My Specialized one broke, trying to remove the broken link (almost brand new KMC X9). Still had to do the walk/dandyhorse of shame to the nearest tram stop.

Replaced it with a Hexus I think (forget now), but tend to carry one of the many “proper” chain breakers in the rucksack too. Doesn’t really take up much room tbh, and easier to use with frozen fingers.

honourablegeorge

bellefied – Member
    keep them separate, its a pain trying to use the chain tool attached to a multi tool if you need it on the “wheelside” of the chain – park tools mini brute will do the job and you wont notice it until you need it

Why would you attempt to open a chain from the wrong side?

hilldodger
    Free Member

http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/SuperChainTool

Works better than any of the multi tool versions IMO

tomkerton
    Free Member

Thanks all, I always ride with a small pack so I think I’ll go for the separate chain breaker idea. Hadn’t thought of that.

Now if only I can remember not to hoof it in the wrong gear pointing uphill so as to try not to break said chain in the first place.

takisawa2

Hexus.
    Every time.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I use this so much I don’t know how I managed without it!
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/RatchetRocket

Especially good at Ikea flat pack furniture.

ndthornton
    Free Member

topeak
    every time 🙂

nedrapier

I’d go separate. I’ve had a park ct5 for years, does the job nicely.

z1ppy

Another long term and happy Crank Bro 17 user here, the chain tool is solid.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yep, cranks bros 17, mine is as old as the hills, genuinely built to last.

z1ppy

… one of the few CB product that has lasted 😯

theflatboy
    Free Member

Mine’s a CB19. It’s ace; until I recently acquired an actually proper home chain tool it was my only option whether out and about or not, and it works perfectly.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which Multi tool with chain breaker?’ is closed to new replies.