Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which multi-tool?
  • woodster

My beloved Topeak Alien has broken (tyre lever fatigued) after what must be ten years of hard service, so I reckon it’s about time for a new one.

The Alien 3 seems to get mixed reviews although it can be found cheap, but what else is out there. I don’t like separate bits that get lost and it’d be nice to lose some weight/chunkiness for pocketability, but functionality is obviously number one priority.

What’s everyone using?

jam-bo

Ratchet rocket.

iainc

Hexus

bigblackshed

Either of the above.

kcal

new set of tyres levers? winner!

[edit – never use the levers on my Alien – and it’s the tool I take when I need a decent multi tool ]

butcher

I’ve been using a Topeak one like this for about 10 years. Can’t fault it on quality, especially for the price. It’s been sat in soaking saddle bags for weeks, rusting away, oiled up again….it just keeps soldiering on. It’s been used a lot as well. Used to use it as my main bike tool before I had a toolkit!

woodster

So buy a Topeak with the tools I want? Sounds good to me.

I think the Hexus sounds like what I’m after, surprised by reports of rust on some tools, since my Alien has none and it’s not been cared for in any way whatsoever.

Extra tyre levers is an option, but it’s even more bulk and as uncomfortable as they are, the Alien ones are excellent at levering a tyre.

Thanks all.

antigee

i was given a lezyne stainless steel one as a present and have bought a couple of others since – well made and a good shape

various models and other retailers are available

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-sv-10-multi-tool/?curr=GBP&dest=1

edit no tyre levers though? i just carry a couple of plastic ones never thought about having as part of a multitool

takisawa2

Hexus.
    It’s the AA van of multi-tools.

Even the tyre levers are ok, but I always chuck a couple of the plastic ones in.

mattbee

Hunt another Alien out on eBay? Or just a couple of tyre levers.
    I’ve got a mk1 Alien that is my favourite multi tool, but I don’t really use the tyre levers as they are the worst designed bit of the whole tool IMHO. Rest of it is awesome and the only thing I miss on it is a t25 Torx.

Northwind

Hexus is ace- doesn’t have all the tools of an Alien but unless you actually use all the uncommon stuff that’s no loss, Hexus has all the normal tools and is more generally usable. (the tyre levers are kind of crap, I see them as emergency backups only but no multitools have good tyre levers)

Ratchet Rocket seems good but doesn’t match your “no bits to lose”.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Crank Bros tool plus plastic tyre levers.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just get a set of these. They’re the best you can buy.

edhornby

Terrahawk went all the way to california to snap a pedros tyre lever…. (sorry Jase!)

you can get steel core tyre levers – park tools ones, the CRC own brand ones are supposedly prone to breaking the tip off

why not just get individual tools and drop them into a knotted length of old inner tube ?

SimonR

Simple crank brothers tool (allen key, torx, screwdriver), Park chain brute plus seperate tyre levers for me.
    Seems to be way more useable than an all-in-one tool.

Northwind

cbmotorsport – Member

Just get a set of these. They’re the best you can buy.

Mine live in the car toolkit, they’re the backups if I can’t find any of my good levers. I know it’s blasphemy but lezyne powerlevers are far better than the Pedros ones.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Replaced my power levers with the Pedros after I snapped one trying to get a DH Specific tyre onto a rim.

Lol. Our mileage varies.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I snapped one of those Pedros levers the first time I used it so they are not bullet proof.

+1 for the Topeak Mini 18 tool as well.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which multi-tool?’ is closed to new replies.