• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which medium sized compact camera?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Looking to shift my Canon 400D for something a little smaller. Haven’t really looked at any other camera since I bought my last so not quite up to date. A few mates have said the current Panasonic range is good so looking at something like a LX5 or TZ10

Any others worth considering?

Special_ized_Jamie

Anyone?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Does a medium sized compact camera include m4/3?
    GF-1 or E-P1 are both being replaced and being knocked out cheap.

phinbob

Gannon G12 woudl be my vote, my wife has a G10 and it’s realy very good.

nille
    Free Member

I use the Panasonic LX3 for those days I dont fancy carrying the big camera around. When I bought it I came to the conclusion that it was the best thing available for my needs. The main selling point for me was the lens and its low f#, the option of full manual control and the RAW format. The drawback of the LX3 is the relatively short focal length range (max. 60mm) but as far as I know this has been addressed in the LX5. The alternative I considered was the Canon G10 (I think they are up to G12 now) which seems to be a good camera as well if slightly larger.

For a compact camera the pictures quality of the LX3 is very good but someone who is used to SLRs will always see the difference. The thing that bugs me most is the reduced dynamic range which often results in featureless skies and other scenes of slightly difficult conditions.

HTH
    Nille

lodious
    Free Member

G12 or S95 or LX5.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Another vote here for Canon G12.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Look at the Canon S90/S95 aswell, same sort of camera as the Pani LX3/LX5

Philby

Bought a Lumix TZ10 at the beginning of the month – was only £199 (inc £30 cashback) which is approx £100 less than their price in Spring last year. Also got a 5 year warranty included. This was from the Panansonic store. Don’t know whether the price and cashback are still available but might be worth an internet search. First impressions good.

Northwind

I’ve got a TZ7 and it’s a brilliant bit of kit, other than being bulky and a wee bit delicate feeling. So it wasn’t ideal for me really but sounds like it’ll suit you.

Anyone tried a Samsung WB500?

beanum

Samsung EX-1 is a good alternative to the Panasonic LX3/5
    Samsung EX-1 Review

There’s a new Olympus coming out that looks good too, the XZ-1:
    Olympus XZ-1

LeeW

I’ve got a Leica Dlux 4 for sale, email in profile if you’re interesed.

It has been on the classifieds, I”m looking for less now but the details are there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which medium sized compact camera?’ is closed to new replies.