Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • which mask fro sanding and painting ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

In the next few weeks im going to start some work on my camper van which will involve sanding and painting not with a spray. will be sanding outside put paint inside its this paint

have looked at a few

mask 1

or

mask 2

thanks in advance

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Do you have a beard?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Mask 2 will do for the sanding, Mask 1 very good for the painting.

And if you have a beard you’ll need the chin extension pieces too.

binners

wwaswas

That Zippy had a real dark side to him, didn’t he.

Harry_the_Spider

66deg
    Free Member

binners

bearnecessities

66deg
    Free Member

Northwind

squirrelking
    Free Member

I got the Draeger that has a back of head harness from either Screwfix or Toolstation, totally worth it as it stays on properly and filters all the crap out. They do a P3 or aerosol version (only difference is the filters).

jonba
    Free Member

In my individual opinion as someone who works with paint a lot (I develop the stuff in a lab and have been doing for about 6 years) you would probably get away without a mask – I probably wouldn’t wear one for that job.

Sanding it is worth having a dust mask, especially if you are using power tools. Googles may also help.

The paint itself looks like a fairly standard consumer use 1k. Nothing particularly nasty in there for the infrequent user. I’d recommend you cover your eyes in all cases. IF the van is outdoors you are not going to be in there for more than baout 4hours and the doors are all open then that will probably provide sufficient ventilation. The main inhalation nasty if you are brush/roller applying will be the solvent. A bog standard hydrocarbon, nothing aggressive.

Anywy if you do get a mask I’d go for the 3M one. They are our standard solvent masks at work and are relatively comfortable and up to the job. It looks like the other one is only a particulate mask. It mentions aqueous (water vapour) filters but not solvent so it may not protect you in this instance.

Being clean shave is essential for the mask to work properly. The beardy sprayers in our company have to wear full face air fed respirators because otherwise the air just comes round the side of the mask.

The 3m will also work for dust but it may work out cheaper to buy some of the lighter ones for that.

Covering your skin is advisable just because it is easier to prevent paint getting on you than it is to clean it up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Disagree.

Enclosed space any solvent will go for your throat.

Started off spraying my landy witout a mask , ended up witha jsp force 8 and a1 p2 filters as i got fed up coughing for hours after spraying.

Soon as i got it no more coughing afterwards.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Why does the ‘Mask’ charachter at the in the foreground have his arse on the front, or has he got his helmet on backwards?

purpleyeti
    Free Member

i used this for sanding and working with solvent based paints in a semi enclosed area, worked well for me, yes the cartridges are a little fiddily but once i worked them out they were easy to use.
    link

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘which mask fro sanding and painting ?’ is closed to new replies.