• This topic has 45 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Which long travel 29er?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have a bit of a conundrum. Last summer I wanted to buy a Mega 290 after demoing one at GT. Unfortunately a few days later the specity I wanted sold out. Soon after I found a BMC Trailfox TF01 at Evans for a bargain price and decided to go for it.

Now the BMC is very good bike and I’m absolutely sold on the concept of long travel 29ers but I don’t not like the rear suspension. It’s not my cup of tea no matter how it is setup. This becomes really clear when I take my Transition Scout out and I end up think that’s rear end feels so good.

So what do I do buy a new frame? I could get a remedy 29er but the BBs are quite high and they are short in the reach. The Trek slash look amazing but £3k for a frame and on top of that I would need a new boost compatible rear wheel which would be another £400. Same applies for the Evil Wreckoning.

I could get a Mega 290 frame but they have gone up in price and I’m now unsure about the rear suspension which appears to get criticised in every review.

Really don’t know what to do.

chakaping
    Free Member

Would a posher shock improve the suspension on the BMC?

Perhaps look at the new Enduro 29er as a complete bike?

I demo-ed the Slash and it was damn good, but very different to the Mega 290 (which I loved).

chiefgrooveguru

This might sound a bit strange but you could try riding the BMC with the chain removed and see how it feels. Then ride the same trail with the Scout without the chain. If the BMC feels a lot better without the chain, more than the Scout does, then you know it’s down to the chain interaction (anti-squat). That can be reduced by running a bigger chain ring but that may screw up your gearing.

If removing the chain doesn’t solve it then it’s related to the linkage curve or the brake squat. You can’t change the latter at all. The former’s effect on the feel can be changed a fair bit by changing or tuning the shock.

daver27
    Free Member

YGM

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

What size is your BMC / what size are you looking for in the replacement?

Northwind

The BMC is full of anti-squat. It’s pretty effective, I’m reasonably sure it made me faster but I just didn’t like how it felt. I put a CCDB into it which helped but didn’t take it away and it just annoyed me. A shame- the geometry is fantastic and it looked great too (I slacked it off a bit more but it didn’t need it)

I would definitely try a 290 if you can. I rode a couple when a mate (ChrisL of this parish) was shopping for one, the suspension’s not a patch on the Remedy’s but I didn’t have any major issue with that, and I’d be confident it could be improved on. Fantastic bikes otherwise. I think reviewers have latched onto the suspension a bit as a Thing To Talk About. If I had to buy a bike today and ride it as it was delivered, it’d be that.

I’d also want to try a Fuel Ex. No it’s not that long travel but it’s got the heart of a bigger bike. (ideally I’d want to try the new Orange too, the old Five 29 was genius)

And on that note, I love my Remedy. It can trailcentre bash, it can do downhill- I’ll be racing it in the fort william endurance dh later this year. It took some work to get it how I like it- a set of 150mm 36s, an angleset and a set of offset bushings, and I went up a size for wheelbase. Which is OK because it’s still quite compact, I have a 170mm reverb in it no bother. It could still be longer, and slacker, and a bit lower but as a package it’s just fantastic (maybe I’ll put a Wheels offset BB in it some time but it’s £100 I don’t have right now). The rear suspension is as good as it gets imo- I’ve sneaked in a shock upgrade (*), but even the totally basic version that came with mine was as good as any bike I’ve ever ridden. I suppose after years of fannying about with DRCV they had to get it right some time, and the Re:Activ thingmy really works.

(* This shock? Why yes it is ex Gee Atherton. Of course I don’t say “because they replaced it with an X2 in his bike”)

Yetiman
    Free Member

I was really impressed by the Orange Stage 6 at a recent demo day and although I’ve tried quite a few long travel 29ers now this one is pretty much at the top of the list. I’m going to need a new boost rear hub too so I’ll be looking at either replacing my old Pro2 Evo or fitting a Wolftooth Boostinator kit.

wl
    Free Member

Can’t speak for the Stage 6 but Orange’s Stage 5 is amazing. I demoed one, and I’d have one in a shot if I wanted 29″ wheels. Stage 6 is a notch up, and guides/racers I know are raving about them too.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I also had a quick spin on the Stage 6 and it was brilliant….

chakaping
    Free Member

The new Orange 29ers look superb, possibly out of the OP’s budget though (they are definitely out of mine!). Cotic RocketMax might be another one for the wish list though. And Starling Murmur even more so.

Have you considered the older model Enduro 29er OP? Might allow you to reuse your bits and the frames are reasonably priced secondhand.

Would a Jeffsy 29er cut it?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The BMC has the CCDB Inline I have spent some time setting up but still doesn’t get away from how it feels, not sure event with the best shock it will feel right.

I probably should still consider the Mega 290 as I found it very confident inspiring when I rode it at GT. I have had a little go on the 2017 Fuel Ex and it was very confident inspring. I think the older Enduros and new ones are on the short side for what I like.

Never considered the Orange but I will certainly look for it. Jeffsy again seems a bit short and the reviews say it’s not as good on the steep and rough stuff where as I want a bike that excels in this area.

Wondering if I can get away with a modified Remedy 29er.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Wondering if I can get away with a modified Remedy 29er.

There isn’t really any point, the new Fuel is longer, significantly lower & slacker than the Remedy 29, even with the stock 130 fork.

The only thing the Remedy has is 10mm more travel. You can swap the shock on the new Fuel to be an off the shelf 210x55mm size & it bumps it up to 138mm travel & it has the clearance to work.

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

There isn’t really any point,

Should be cheaper! (I thought you weren’t that happy with the suspension on yours?)

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Northwind and HobNob I’d be interested to hear the spec/set up of your Trek’s as I’m looking at both options right now….

alextemper
    Free Member

I have a 160mm Pike on my Remedy 29er but can’t run an angleset due to the internal headset of the carbon frame. About to give the shock some love with a PUSH upgrade to stop it blowing through its travel. Would be great if it sat a little lower overall but doesn’t seem to hold it back. Fantastic bike and prefer it over the Nomad 3 it replaced.

chiefgrooveguru
    Northwind

TBH it’d be pretty hard to argue for the Remedy, except on price- it should be a good used buy now. It was awful value new and the spec was quite wonky but I got mine used with the intention of redoing it all and that worked reasonably. But that’s essentially what Trek have done too so it doesn’t make so much sense to start from the old model.

The only hesitation I have is the suspension- I’ve not ridden the Fuel yet but I’m yet to see anyone be as impressed with that part as with the Remedy. And it really is what makes the bike for me.

Not much to add over what I posted tbh- set of 150mm 36s, 2 degree works headset, 1×11, lightbicycle wheels, 50mm stem (surprisingly long, just went back to that from a 35) a long reverb and the shock out of a 2016 model 9.9 (though that’s a total luxury, the stock one like I say worked great too). Only the frame’s original but that was planned- I bought the whole bike used but I already had the build off the trailfox.

Oh, worth noting you can’t put an angleset in the carbon one- I might have upgraded to one of those otherwise but I wouldn’t want to be without it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Should be cheaper! (I thought you weren’t that happy with the suspension on yours?)

Good point, Remedy frames & bikes will save a few bob.

The shock isn’t great, IMO, it’s better now it’s got the biggest Fox spacer in it, having spoken to a few tuners they don’t rate them at all for harder riding – although I do trail ride with my bike I also race DH & Enduro so appreciate I’m asking a lot of the bike/travel…

Currently trying to justify a DHX2 to myself for it. Although it puts me on the wrong side of 26lbs, can I cope!?

That said, race results show it’s faster than my old Patrol already & ive only done 3 races. It’s just rough as hell on the back & gets very overwhelmed.

mahalo

i forsee that come summer, when all the 2018 ranges have been revealed – there will be no shortage of long travel 29ers to choose from…!

looking forward to see what Transition replaces the smuggler with myself…

i rode the stage 6 too. its like shit off a shovel!

pigyn
    Free Member

It’s true you know, 2018 is the year of the LT 29er!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Really? I’ll tell my 2011 sultan with a 140 fork it’s finally in fashion.

At least I don’t have to put a bag on its head any more.

oikeith

I have the Specialized Elite 29er 2017 and its a great bike. The price difference between the comp and elite is quite steep, in hindsight I would have purchased the comp and then got some aftermarket wheels and a shock tune with the change. The bike has bought my riding on, letting me ride hard and fast but the wheels on the elite although smooth and fast rolling feel somewhat flexy as they have a low spoke count.

Northwind

Really didn’t dig the Enduro, I know it’s not actually that short or that tall or that steep but it felt all of those things (I demo’d an L, and other than the head angle it’s a pretty similar shape to my bike- I could hardly believe that though. Don’t know why!

MadPierre

For me it was between the Slash, Enduro and Evil. The Slash won. I hear you on price and boost etc but I’m loving it so far.

swanny853

Really? I’ll tell my 2011 sultan with a 140 fork it’s finally in fashion.

Ditto my Commencal. Nice though, more tyres hopefully!

Euro
    Free Member

Cotic RocketMax. ‘Only’ 140 travel but it’s bloody ace. Might not suit everyone’s riding style but i love it. It’s a seriously fast and versatile bike

Across

Over

Down

Well worth adding to your list OP

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Lots of options to consider.

1. Do nothing keep the BMC £0

2. New shock tuned shock for the BMC £400? But how much better than a CCDB inline.

3. Aluminium Trek Remedy £400. Never ridden one but suspension should be good, Geo not quite perfect also going from a full carbon frame to aluminium might not be perfect.

4. Mega 290 frame, better suspension but heavier not sure what price I can get a frame for.

5. Orange Stage 6 never ridden one cost £1800 for frame then £400 for a boost rear wheel.

6. Transition long travel, long rumoured but might not materialise until August at the earliest, most likely shit bearings, not carbon frame £1800 might need boost wheel £400.

7. New slash or Wreckoning frame £3k and £400 wheel….

I guess it would be best to try and demo these options but it might be hard to do so.

I think I will rule out the banshee because it’s a dual link and the Cotic because I imagine its gravitational field can be measured from a different country.

swanny853

I don’t think the rocket is disproportionately heavy- certainly the 26 model is in the running with equivalently solid bikes. Friends have a 26″ meta and a 26″ rocket, built very similarly (1x, same wheels, same forks) and i think the rocket might be lighter. It definitely rides lighter.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why would you think the Transition would have shit bearings? I’ve got a 2013 Covert 29, so 4 years old now, I ride it all year round in the sandy loam around here, hardly ever wash it (probably the key) and the bearings are rock solid. The only problem with Transitions these days is that they’ve gone the way of Yeti and Santa Cruz and entered the overpriced boutique bike category.

Rocket gets my vote. A little heavy possibly, but weight is a feature that people put far too much consideration and importance on. For almost all of us a few additional hundred grams will make zero noticeable difference other than on the bathroom scales.

Ultimately they’re all good these days. If you back to back rode the lot it’s boil down to your own personal preference and even then you’d only notice it with a back to back test ride. You’re just as well choosing on the basis of brand preference and available colours.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My Scout destroyed its bearings in less than 6 months, my mates alloy patrol did the same and I know three people who went through their Patrol Carbon bearings in about 2-3 months.

The steel rockets aren’t heavy for a steel framed full sus but it’s still a steel full sus and I currently have a full carbon frame.

Maybe a 2nd hand Mega 290 frame would be a good option.

Tracey

Don’t know where you are based but there is a big demo day that’s been organised at the Tweedlove International Enduro. I think you need to book in advance but it could be worth while. When we were looking at 29ers I managed to get my leg over a few just by asking on the trails.

chiefgrooveguru

The steel rockets aren’t heavy for a steel framed full sus but it’s still a steel full sus and I currently have a full carbon frame.

I doubt any of the alloy bikes will be lighter!

I still think you need to do some chainless descending and see what about the BMC’s suspension you don’t like, otherwise it’s just guesswork…

Euro
    Free Member

The steel rockets aren’t heavy for a steel framed full sus but it’s still a steel full sus and I currently have a full carbon frame

Only the truly unwise would dismiss the Rocket cause it’s heavier than they’re used too. Have a play on one and judge it by how it rides – not what it weighs. A seriously good bike. You might go for something else in the end but i promise you’ll enjoy it 😀

p.s. A boost rear wheel that costs £400 is an expensive one.

ceepers

Demoed the 27.5 rocket on Saturday.

Just wow!

Loved it, so confident descending the rough stuff without feeling too much on trail centre blue flow like lots of 160 bikes I’ve ridden.

Climbed perfectly well and I can honestly say I didn’t feel it was heavy at all.

Mates demoed the max in plus form. Felt it was a little draggy on climbs and to get up to speed but a real monster downhill. Think the draglines was plus tyres and as a 29er it would fly!

alextemper
    Free Member

Would add the Bird Aeris 145 into the mix

chakaping
    Free Member

It would be nice if bird made full suspension 29ers.

On the subject of the cotic, the rocket is on par with the mega 290 weight wise and pedals very very well.

Worth a demo on one as they do have a special feel, and you might fall in love with it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mates demoed the max in plus form. Felt it was a little draggy on climbs and to get up to speed but a real monster downhill. Think the draglines was plus tyres and as a 29er it would fly!

I did demo a 29er version and it did fly! i’m currently busting a gut to try to get one, but bathrooms and other household expenses keep getting in the way. The 29er Cotic is no heavier if not a tad lighter than my alloy 29er Covert. I also test rode a Hightower but in 650b+ form. No lighter than the Rocket – not noticeably so anyway, maybe a 29er version might have been more noticeably lighter, but not by much. Also it rode no better than the Rocket, but again not comparing apples with apples due to wheels, but I didn’t like the 650b+ at all.

I’m a Rocket convert for sure.

blastit
    Free Member

Re Bird 29er I heard from a bike tester guy they may be doing something, so you might want to ask

Yetiman
    Free Member

I did demo a 29er version and it did fly! i’m currently busting a gut to try to get one, but bathrooms and other household expenses keep getting in the way. The 29er Cotic is no heavier if not a tad lighter than my alloy 29er Covert. I also test rode a Hightower but in 650b+ form. No lighter than the Rocket – not noticeably so anyway, maybe a 29er version might have been more noticeably lighter, but not by much. Also it rode no better than the Rocket, but again not comparing apples with apples due to wheels, but I didn’t like the 650b+ at all.

I’m a Rocket convert for sure.

Was that at Drumtochty last year wobbliscott? I tried the Rocketmax as well and really liked it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Which long travel 29er?’ is closed to new replies.