• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which Lights for night riding
  • Jonesy
    Free Member

Alright chaps

Im looking at buying a new light for the front of my bike mainly for XC riding. I'm currently running some old cateye lights which are rubbish and last about 30min on full burn. What are the recommendations? I have been looking at the exposure maXx daddy does it really justify its £300 price tag?

wormhole

not sure if anyone on here has any experience with these from the good people at on-one?

null

look to be really good value and plenty bright enough for an hour or two round the local woods/hills. would be interested to hear any views from someone who has a set, but for £100 and an 800 lumen promise can't be bad….can they?

giantjason
    Free Member

Exposure lights are great. In our riding group we have 3 people who use them and are very happy.

I have an Enduro Maxx and Joystick which is just right and doesn't cost a fortune. One of the guys has the Daddy and the output isvery impressive. For me it was the cable free design and simple fixing bracket that made me chose them.

snaps
    Free Member
    Ewan
    Free Member

DX lights. 50 quid, can't go wrong. Don't spend 300 quid.

mrmo
    Free Member

i wondered how long until the DX turned up. reading all the threads about how long they take to deliver i am not interested.

xcstu
    Free Member

Have a D Maxx highly rated! along with a joystick on swede its like riding in daylight 😉

Used to ride with a hope HID which was good but the D Maxx is another level…. plus the battery free design makes it fuss free and never had a problem with either!

If you do lots of night riding in my opinion worth the money.

BoardinBob

not sure if anyone on here has any experience with these from the good people at on-one?

null

look to be really good value and plenty bright enough for an hour or two round the local woods/hills. would be interested to hear any views from someone who has a set, but for £100 and an 800 lumen promise can't be bad….can they?

I've got the SL2 version ( I bought it on a ragga tip 😳 )

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/info_LIABP7ELS2BK.html

Fantastic light. Very floody but just a ridiculous amount of light for the money. DX light now trumps it for lumens/£ but I bought it last year for £99 and everyone I've ridden with at night has been amazed by it.

tazzymtb

DX again ours turned up in about 10 days from order so not bad really.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

mrmo – Member
    i wondered how long until the DX turned up. reading all the threads about how long they take to deliver i am not interested.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks (I ordered just before autumm – see what I did there?!). I'd rather save £250.

Glad you're not interested, more stock for everyone else. 😀

BoardinBob

I've ordered the DX too. Just updated the status to packaging 🙂

I'll use it for commuting and save the airbike for nightrides

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I've ordered the DX too. Just updated the status to packaging

I'll use it for commuting and save the airbike for nightrides

Is the airbike anything more than the DX at twice the price? p7, 900 lumen, lo/med/hi/flash. What's the difference? (I'm not saying it is the same, just that I can't see any difference)

Mackem

Where do you get these DX lights from?

BoardinBob

TJ, I think it is virtually the same light. Certainly the same LED in a different package.

I bought the airbike last year when the DX light wasn't available so it was the best low cost option for a proper bike light at that time.

I guess for the extra £50 you've got the ease of quick delivery, a proper mounting bracket and the build quality is excellent and I know there are a couple of niggles with the DX one, but is that enough to justify the extra outlay…

Coleman
    Free Member

I've beeen running two Enduro Maxx units for over 2 years now and have so far been faultless and both still exceed the stated run times. I would definately have no hesitation in recommending the Maxx D's, and for me the cable free design is a big plus point.

However, the DX lights are certainly exceptional value per lumen and have been subject of a STW massive buying frenzy recently, so worth considering. There have been a few reported cases of the chargers bursting into flames but even this does not seem to be putting people off them – very strange.

polarisandy
    Free Member

As an aside and just to illustrate that you don't need to spend a fortune…

forgot my hopes4's the last Tuesday night and ended doing lakeshore singletrack (ullswater lakeshore path/boredale hause and beda fell) using two helmet mounted tesco torches (1750mha batteries). took about 2 1/2hrs.

fantastic and all for £10-£12 each light.. and a cobbled together holder from two blackburn pump holders i'd never used)

Ewan
    Free Member

Well speak for yourself, but I can wait for 10 days for 250 quid!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which Lights for night riding’ is closed to new replies.