Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which light(ish) disc CX wheels for road tyres?
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

Id like to get a spare set of wheels for my CX so I have some proper 25/28 road tyres without the hassle of swapping them over on my existing wheelset. Ideally Id like them to be cheap, light and durable in that order. They also have to be disc compatible hubs. Kinesis V3 are winning at the moment but any bargains or recommendations?

Fankf

dan45a
    Free Member

Aksium one discs from zee Germans look a good deal. Not that light but do roll well from what I’ve heard.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/mavic-aksium-one-m11-wheelset-252311

benji
    Free Member

Exactly the same as what you already own, that way brakes and gears all line up, so zero hassle.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Same hubs at least.
    I run 3 pairs of wheels in one bike and it’s a pain setting up the brakes each time. (well 5 minutes then)
    Gears indexing doesn’t change for me.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Ta. Unfortunately they are Norco branded hubs so not really sure what they are.

dknwhy

I’ve got Kinesis V3. Run them with 28mm Panaracer Gravel King tyres. I’ve got some Conti CX tyres that I swap to if I know i’m doing off road or want something wider but 90% of the time (gravel tracks, light off road) the tyres are fine so I don’t have to swap them.

Have probably done 1500 miles on the wheels now and on the whole they’ve been fine. Had an initial problem with a seized freehub so the wheel went back and was fixed under warranty but had no issues since then. A few people on here had similar but it might have been the early batches.

benji
    Free Member

Probably either Novatech or Formula.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Exactly the same as what you already own, that way brakes and gears all line up, so zero hassle.

syntace disc shim will sort that.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Speaking from experience you won’t do what you intend. Different hubs mean having to re set brake caliper AND fine tune gears as cassette probably minutely different positioned. Disc shim won’t sort your cassette.

Quicker and easier to just swap tyres. I bought CX V3s and ended up leaving them on bike and doing just that.

And most of the weight in OE wheels is in the hubs so you don’t want to get another pair with idea of rebuilding them.

dragon
    Free Member

Aksium One Disc are good for the price, sure not at light as the Kinesis but a fair bit cheaper. My Aksiums have been fine so far during a summer of commuting on terrible potholed roads and have certainly been an improvement on the stock wheels they replaced. I run 28 conti’s on mine with no issues.

nedrapier

syntace disc shim will sort that.

Or cheaper, lighter, slightly fiddlier washers:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/a2z-caliper-spacers-stainless-steel-025-mm-pack-of-12-prod17736/

nedrapier

How much difference have people experienced with disc alignment between wheels?

I put one set of those A2Z washers to space out the disc on the Stans hub to the same place as the disc on the SLX and it’s still nowhere near – I need pretty much all the adjustment on the BB7 clickers.

Doesn’t seem right, but it seems it just is what it is given the dimensions of the hubs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which light(ish) disc CX wheels for road tyres?’ is closed to new replies.