Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which light?
  • Taff
    Free Member

No not a magicshine or similar topic!!

I have a floodlight outside that has gone Kaput and is a bit like THIS. I need to replace it so I’ve been looking at cheap but functional alternatives that don’t cost the earth to run.

I don’t know whether to replace it with the same as above as it’s cheap but my question is it’s wired in so that it plugs into the wall rather than being hardwired. Will this have an affect on my chosen light? Got no problems with wiring things up but my knowledge on capacities is a but ropey.

jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t know whether to replace it with the same as above as it’s cheap but my question is it’s wired in so that it plugs into the wall rather than being hardwired. Will this have an affect on my chosen light?

Either way, if it doesn’t come with a plug (intended to be hard wired) you can just stick a plug on it. I actually replaced a single socket with flush-fitted, illumintaed switch which had a hole in the base for a wire and then ran the cable along the skirting board and then through the wall. Much neater than having it wired in to a plug, but it means you can still switch it off.

Also, depends how illuminated you want your garden / drive. Mine only has a 150w halogen, which is plenty for me to sit outside etc, not so good if you want to work on your bike or something in the dark.

Taff
    Free Member

Mainly for sitting outside or washing the bike. Got the workshop for maintenance but in the dark evenings I will need to wash the bike during the evenin. I was hoping it was a case of putting a plug on and it would be fine. Need to source a decent light now

z1ppy

When we had out house extended, the electrician said that the outside 500W light would need to go onto a spur of the socket ring main (or a seperate direct link.. something more complicated anyways).
    When I said it was only a 120W unit (as per your link), he was said then it was fine to wire it in with the normal overhead light circuit.

So, stick with your 120W units, there fine and almost cheaper than new halogen lamps [bulbs].

Taff
    Free Member

Good advice Z1ppy, thanks for that

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which light?’ is closed to new replies.