• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • which Lance Armstrong book to read?
  • singletracksurfer

fancy reading one of his books – any advice on which one?

iainc

I have a couple – think the first one was 'It's not about the bike' – very good, insprirational apparently…

brassneck

Thta's the one to read, every second counts is pretty meh.. it's interesting enough but it's not in the same league as the first.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, it's not about the bike is the one you should read. It's quite interesting and makes you realise that mental headcases in cycling are not constrained to Europe.

Plus….
    Mrs Armstrong

Mrs Armstrong

MrSparkle

Mrs Armstrong

Mrs Armstrong

brassneck

Proven liar Landis in attempt to implicate famous names in order to sell more books shocker.

mike_p
    Free Member

Armstrong's first book, "It's not about the bike", is an extraordinary story.

I wish I'd read this one before I'd read his auto-biographies

But I wouldn't bother reading anything written by that poison dwarf David Walsh, try something a little more objective.

warton
    Free Member

get LA Confidential, if you can. It will change your view of him i imagine

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Flying Scot by Graeme Obree – far better than Armstrong's story IMHO

singletracksurfer

thanks. read the Flying Scot – twas great.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Aside from his self-written book, if you want something that ignores the drug debate (not really sure why you would though…) Daniel Coyle's Tour De Force is very enlightening, well written, and not to propaganda-y. It's recently been reissued.
    LA Confidentiel is the original French book, I think, most of which has ended up in From Lance to Landis.
    Currently reading Landis' Positively False book, for amusement…

brassneck

In sdearch of robert Millar is another goody… just realised I spend more time reading roadie books and watching races than I do riding my road bike 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

It's not about the bike is the better of Lances "own" books.

Riding through the Storm – Geoff Thomas' story of his battle with cancer and challenge to ride the Tour route is also a great read.

dickydutch

I didnt like riding through the storm. He talked far too much about football. Not taking anything at all away from his achievements and his chairty work mind!

shedfull
    Free Member

This is very much worth a read. It moved me as much as Lance's book.

warton
    Free Member

Escape Artist is a lovely book. The rider is also a great book, totally different, tells the story of a fictional one day race in france.

Also try Fallen angel, the story of Fausto coppi (a true champion!). wonderfully written.

MrSmith
    Free Member

bad blood by Jeremy Whittle
    rough ride by Paul Kimmage

just to redress the pro-lance hype.

corroded
    Free Member

Escape Artist is a lovely book. The rider is also a great book, totally different, tells the story of a fictional one day race in france.

They're the only books about cycling I rate. There's that great quote in the Rider: 'Racing is licking your opponent's plate clean before starting on your own.'

aP
    Free Member

Just read the first LALA book, you'll feel terribly for him as to what he went through, then realise that he's a massively controlling, unpleasant, bullying (good cyclist mind) man who has realised that the best way to make money in cycling is to only target the one race that people have heard of and not bother about anything else.
    I'd suggest instead that you read In Search of Robert Millar or Flying Scotsman or even the new Laurent Fignon book instead.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘which Lance Armstrong book to read?’ is closed to new replies.