Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which jacket £150
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi,

I am looking for a waterproof jacket that will let me breath. I seem to kick out massive amounts of heat even in minus figures so it doesn’t need to be warm. So, I suppose it needs to be light very waterproof and wind proof. I am new to this. Am I asking too much?

All help appreciated.

Thanks

tlr

My suggestion would be the berghaus rapide jacket in the new goretex active shell. RRP is £140, and although I haven’t used the berghaus version I have used the more expensive Haglofs jacket in the same fabric, and I was very impressed.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve been using a Berghaus Rapide for about five months now, breathability is excellent and while it’s primarily designed as a running jacket, it works pretty well on a bike as well. My only real reservation is that it has a very fine and slightly fiddly main zip that I don’t quite trust to survive long term, particularly with cold fingers and clogged with grit, but so far, to be fair, it’s survived. I cut the daft thumb loops off as well.

The Active Shell fabric is very, very good. Far more breathable than other Gore fabrics I’ve used. Oh, and it has no pockets if that bothers youm – well, it has one tiny pocket inset into a seam which takes a key or something similarly small.

Gore Bikewear has a jacket in the same fabric which looks promising – haven’t used it but I like their stuff generally – but it’s a bit over your budget, I think. Er, gulp, £220…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hammy7272
    Free Member

That is great. Thanks guys. What is the water-resitancy like?

I really like the look of that new fabric, the reviews seem fantastic. Are there any companies that produce mountain bike specific jackets in the same material?

thanks again

djflexure

The only thing that I really breath in is a gilet – like gore countdown. Use it with armwarmers and really versatile. Also have gore xenon active shell windstropper (not the gortex one). This is light and packs down small and keeps the water out. I bring it out if the weather gets worse. If you shop around you can get both on your budget. I also have gore alp x gortex jacket but does not pack down as small plus all these jackets seem to get a bit hot once the pace picks up.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks,

Had a look at those jackets. Are there any other recommendations that might be a bit more sturdy. I would be a bit worried they might tear if I crashed?

regards

Mike

singlecrack
    Free Member

I am the same
    I also run at a high temp and need very little in cold weather
    I think you will boil in any waterproof/breathable jacket
    my advice would be to just get a good windproof pertex

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers, i’ll have a look.

honourablegeorge

Wiggle have loads of Gore “Active Shell” stuff, and the most expensive of them is only £152 – are they different to what’s being talked about here?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/?s=active+shell

hammy7272
    Free Member

Hmmm, not sure. They don’t seem to be waterproof?

stayhigh

I’ve got an Endura Venturi jacket. Its event fabric instead of gortex and I find it very good since the start of the year. IIRC the new version is around £160 and scored very well in reviews.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Are people confusing breathability with warmth here? If you generate a lot of heat you won’t cool down in anything windproof. If you’re hot you sweat more and get wet in anything. No shell jacket has any insulation so they’re all pretty much as hot as each other.

Look for a jacket with pit zips (i’ve never understood why people say you ‘don’t need them’ with Event fabric – I still boil).

Northwind

Not a jacket- even the very best are still hot, it’s inevitable- if you’re a runs-hot person then you’ll overheat no matter what. I have an Altura Attack which ticks all the boxes and came highly recommended but it’s still far too hot outside of horrible days, and completely useless in warm-but-wet weather.

Instead, get a decent gillet- keep the body dry, and let your arms function as radiators.

djflexure

My view would be that I get back from every ride wet, whether its raining or not. If its windy and raining its the windchill that will upset you, not the wet. So for me a wind-proof makes sense. The gore active shell windproof material is also waterproof to a large extent which is great. I am most comfortable on a bike, even in rain, with just the wind-proof gilet. If conditions are really poor then the AS jackets work well. I think that these are a bit more convenient that a full on gortex jacket as they pack down small, so you always have it at hand. Plus if you just have the gilet on most of the time there is not much to damage. Did Kielder two weeks ago like this without problems and weather was really shitty.

dan93
    Free Member

I’ve got an Endura Venturi jacket. Its event fabric instead of gortex and I find it very good since the start of the year. IIRC the new version is around £160 and scored very well in reviews.

I picked up an Endura Venturi jacket from Rutland cycles for £70, they only had S and XS sizes but they are quite roomy so may be worth a look. Pleased with mine, the water runs off in beads not soaking into the material which is handy as you can just shake it dry. More breathable than the DHB jacket i was using before (Can’t remember material but was £80) only use it when it’s cold, windy and wet..

timnwild

I love my Altura Attack jacket – well below 150, last I checked, and minimal discomfort and maximum windproofness. Never been uncomfortable wearing it, nor cold – even with just a wicking tee underneath.

Can’t help you with the flimsiness though – it does have a bramble tear or two.

neilWalts
    Free Member

This is a great deal, if you fit a MD or SM:

Was: £142.99 Now: £71.49

BadlyWiredDog

Wiggle have loads of Gore “Active Shell” stuff, and the most expensive of them is only £152 – are they different to what’s being talked about here?

Yeah, there’s Active Shell Windstopper Soft Shell which is a windproof and very water-resistant fabric and then the new stuff which is Gore-Tex Active Shell. God only knows why Gore chose the same name, it’s really confusing, but they are different fabrics. The Gore-Tex Active Shell is a new fabric and only appearing now and it is completely waterproof with taped seams.

hammy7272
    Free Member

How about the endura stealth jacket? Does anyone have any experience of these?

hammy7272
    Free Member

How waterproof is the gore active shell material? Any help would be relly welcome. Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which jacket £150’ is closed to new replies.