Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Which is your typical riding style?
  • SST
    Free Member

1) Blast up the hills, steady on the flats, recover on the downs.

2) Plod painfully up the hills (often in danger of being overtaken by a walking toddler), steady/quick on the flats, balls out on the downs.

3) Other

🙂

I’m a #2. Hills kill me lol

jova54
    Free Member

Walk up the hills
    Tear along the flats
    Scare myself sh!tless on the downs, get off and walk 😉

montylikesbeer

pant and puff on the way up ( a little faster now I have dropped 2 stone)

fastish on the flat and beginning to get more confident own the downy bits (am even tackling steps now)

scaredypants

4) RRRRRRRRRAD

with a capital F

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Slow on the flat.
    Even Slower going down.
    Even Slower than that on the uphills..

One word sums up my riding skillz quite nicely.

“Crap”

peachos
    Free Member

attack the hills
    attack the flats
    attack the downs

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i like to blast up the hills, slower on the flats (if its a tarmac section = zzzz on my mtb) and a mixture of fast if its a nice descent, or mince/recover if its too technical/i’m not riding well.

i loves climbing, generally the steeper, grassier and or rocky the better. 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

jey core mince lite 😀

Bedds
    Free Member

I enjoy climbing.. not very quick on the downs though :o(

Used to enjoy pushing along at a fair old lick on the flats, but swapped to SS and that doesn’t happen anymore 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

Fast on the ups.
    Fast on the downs.
    Fast in between.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think the word sedate sums it up.

simonralli2
    Free Member

So damn fast I am a mere blur. Huck, jump and manual everything 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

fast as I can up, fast as I can along, fast as I can down.

Note – fast as I can does not actually mean fast.

grumm
    Free Member

2) but probably nowhere near as fast on the downs as I like to think.

tinsy
    Free Member

Same as mrsflash….

adey205
    Free Member

yep! mrsflash pretty much sums it up…. 🙁

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Fast and buttery 🙂 oh and gnaley………dude

mrsflash
    Free Member

Adey, that should be a 🙂 not a 🙁 it’s all good!

yossarian
    Free Member

my style varies

fast* as poss up, fast* as poss on flat, fast* as poss down

confidence rises….

fast* as poss up, fast* as poss on flat, crash

confidence falls

slow

*fast for me

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tarmac = ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Attack the interesting bits be they up, down or allong.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the bike I’m on, the route I’m doing, any injuries I’m carrying, my mood and the company I’m in.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Definitely 1) for me.
    Mince Xc is where all the cool dudes hang out.

GW
    Free Member

Walk up then freewheel the fastest DH racer boy lines down (except I ride round puddles and rarely squash/aviod jumps)

igm

Ambling along chatting to my son who sits in front of me – speed is overrated.

Took him through Dixon’s Hollow and the bomb holes at Dalby yesterday.

ahwiles
    Free Member

‘pottering along nicely at the back’

up/flat/down doesn’t matter, i’m happy if it’s technical or/and swoopy.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ok, here is a genuine attempt at a actual description of my style

I ride hard tail because not being mechanically adept there seems far too much stuff to get confused with on a full suss.

My legs feel like lead weights at the start of rides, and any initial uphills are painfully slow.

At trail centres, I try and get up these step ups, but my pedals normally hit rocks and my bike jams and I have to stop.

To get over tree roots, I try and pick up just enough speed so that if I yank the front up, my momentum will somehow get me over.

On uphill siwtchbacks, I alwats seem to wobble and go way too wide and then the handlebars go like that and I’m off.

Going downhills, I am heavy on the brakes as whenever I seem to pick up speed, there never seems to be enough track to go round even modest cornners and I am worried about hitting boulders by the side of the trails, or just falling into ditches if there are no berms.

I always have to stop when appraching drop offs which I assume are jumps at trail centres, but get annoyed when a few inches further and you see that in fact it slopes and was probably rideable.

Things seem vertical to me when I am at the top of them, and I just imagine the bike hitting terminal velocity in microseconds, but then you see other rides not even flinch and ride down things like they are not even there.

I have just tried to start getting a little bit of air on those bumps at some trail centres, but anything else I roll over. I have tried doing a few more dop offs but can’t get over thinking I am going to fly over the handlebars (and have done so on previous occasions).

I have tried that flat plank at Dalbetties, but can’t even get on my bike without wobbling off, and have fallen off the red route northshore at Mabie on the wide corner bit.

But after saying all of that, if there is something I happen to be able to ride over it is a brill feeling, especially if you have someone to try and explain what to do.

For me it’s just about getting out there in the trees and mountains and watersfalls and stuff like that, and when you do get to the top of a massive climb, and scan the view, you just think, dang, I did that!

And yeah, assuming no major crashes, pretty much always get back with a massive smile and a bit horse from shouting woa yeah a lot on the down bits 😀

Not too sure if that fits into your 1, 2 or 3 scheme of things, but there is actually no element unfortunately of false modesty!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Depends on: mood, company, wellness, conditions.

Yesterday’s ride was solo chilled – everything done gently. I got slightly RAD on one downhill but a near crash (nose dropped a simple 1ft drop off) calmed me down.

RealMan
    Free Member

Fast on the uphills (8.5 stone, and loving it..)

Too fast on the downhills (I figure best way of learning to go fast is by going too fast, and when things go wrong you get to test your reactions)

Plod along on the flat. Unless its ace singletrack begging to be thrashed, I’ll take it easy.

I’m almost exactly the same on the road bike as well, except for the downhills, where I’m the slowest (8.5 stone, and hating it..)

BlackDog
    Free Member

Blast up the hills, I enjoy and am pretty good at climbing
    Blast on the flats,
    Blast on the downs

Recover when I get off the bike.

tomato
    Free Member

Often short rides (as I don’t want to miss out on the kids growing up) crank up a hill, enjoy the view, not flat out on the way down but with as many pumpy, jumpy, interesting lines as I can muster. Come back happy, not exhausted, with points remaining in the bag. Repeat at least 3 times a week.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

It’s all about the down for me.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

walk the hills
    whinge if it’s flat and i have to pedal
    attack anything which might be fun

BigDummy
    Free Member

I corner like I’m on rails, and use a lot of thrutching and body english to get through nadgery sections.

igm

tomato – Member
    Often short rides (as I don’t want to miss out on the kids growing up)

Solution – Take kids wih you

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Up a bit, around a bit, down a bit, over a bit, a bit over there, a bit over here.

lowey

Steady climber (I do like the challenge though and very rarely give up)

Steady peddler on the flat, however as fast as I can usually manage.

On the downs, well, frankly I am just rad to the power of sick (although generally accepted to be rather slow) 😀

soma_rich
    Free Member

I am definatly a slow up mince down and blast the singletrack rider.

Though my new Kona Coiler does make me braver on the downs 🙂

nicko74

Slow and clumsy on the flat, slightly fast and clumsy on the ups (until it gets tricky), slow and scaredy on the downs.

I’m an embarrassment whatever the terrain 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

8.5 stone? Are you a lady RealMan?!

RealMan
    Free Member

No, I’m a skinny 17 year old.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Which is your typical riding style?’ is closed to new replies.