Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which is more powerful Hope Tech or Hope Race?
  • roverpig

I’m sure I’ve read on here that the Hope Race X2 Evo brakes are more powerful that their Tech equivalent. Something to do with the lever being more efficient, which makes sense. But I just read a review in MBR (I think) that said the Tech version was more powerful, due to having a longer lever, which also makes sense.

So, does anybody know which is true? Ideally it would be good to see results from a proper test where a fixed force was applied to the lever and the force at the caliper measured. But if that doesn’t exist wild speculation will do 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

less powerful brake with bigger rotors?

The Tech is now evo too, which I recall was the lever upgrades to deliver more power for less force. Therefore the X2 Evo may have been more powerfull than the tech but not the Tech Evo. Maybe.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

If you want power go for the M4 brake. Was unconvinced about the adjustability of the tech lever but having used them for a couple of rides I can see the point. Being able to get the bite point and reach just where you want it really gives you more confidence when hammering it.

kimbers

all the info is here

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/2012Brakeselectorp2.pdf

tech evo x2< race evo x2< tech evo m4 < race evo m4

having just got some race evo m4s i can confirm that they are the schnizzle, 1 finger braking stopping my chukny ass with excellent modulation
    more powerful and better controlled than my mono m4s

the shorter race lever makes it harder for 2 finger braking if you really need to yank them back but i cant see ill be needing to do that anytime soon

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice and simple there Kimbers

also +1 for the Tech lever adjustments, good when your getting down to the end of the pads too.

chiefgrooveguru

The Race Evo lever is more powerful than the Tech Evo lever – it moves less fluid per mm of lever movement at the finger (and thus doesn’t work with the V2 calipers) so has a higher mechanical advantage.

Numbers: http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/article/how-we-test-hydraulic-disc-brakes-24345/

davosaurusrex

Don’t know but in stw tradition I’ll answer a question that wasn’t asked- they are sensitive to pad compound. Bought some M4 tech evos recently that came with superstar organic pads and they were awful, changed them for hope sintered and now they’re awesome.

chiefgrooveguru

Kimbers’ link is much more useful! I’ve had the Race Evo M4 on my Soul for about a year and they’re so good it’s like cheating.

roverpig

Thanks folks. Pity the MBR reviewer didn’t read those links 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It also makes a huge difference using the right depth rotors, I just round to putting the newer hope ones on, they have a bigger braking surface than the older ones and performance increase 🙂 (still plenty of power with either for me)

Also not a fan of the superstar pads either too thick or not as good. Back on hopes again now, Ashima were also good.

Bike radar didn’t test the Tech M4 but hope puts it in the middle of the 2 Race brakes.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Those bikeradar figures are nonsense crap. There is no way that Elixir 3s, Deore 596s are more powerful than Tech Evo X2s and I speak from experience of all 3. I’d take the Tech Evo’s anytime. But then I take all MBUK and What MB reviews with a pinch of salt.

rudedog
    Free Member

Those bikeradar figures are nonsense crap. There is no way that Elixir 3s, Deore 596s are more powerful than Tech Evo X2s and I speak from experience of all 3. I’d take the Tech Evo’s anytime. But then I take all MBUK and What MB reviews with a pinch of salt.

Why? The hope tech m4’s I got weren’t as powerful out of the box as the Avid Juicy 3’s I had out of the box. The Hopes were pretty poor to be honest and didn’t improve until they were bled. Perhaps the magazine reviewer had a similar experience?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Why?

What do you mean why? Its my personal experience and opinion which appears not agree with yours but is equally valid. C’est la vie. Hope stuff doesn’t usually get good reviews in MBUK and What MB but does in other magazines. Their brakes made the Dirt hot 100, I know who I’d rather believe. Usage over dodgy science.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How did they run those tests? They don’t do a 160 rotor for the v2!

Glad to see that chart. I answered this question once before (correctly) but popular opinion said I was wrong. The race levers push less fluid which increases the hydraulic advantage of them. It’s the reason you can’t run a race lever on a v2. It doesn’t push enough fluid for the huge pistons.

rudedog
    Free Member

What do you mean why? Its my personal experience and opinion which appears not agree with yours but is equally valid. C’est la vie. Hope stuff doesn’t usually get good reviews in MBUK and What MB but does in other magazines. Their brakes made the Dirt hot 100, I know who I’d rather believe. Usage over dodgy science.

I thought the meaning of the ‘why’ was explained in the rest of my post – never mind though.

kimbers

I must admit surprised the saints come out about the same as deore and less powerful than slx, xt and xtr

doesnt inspire confidence in their methodology

cookeaa

What do people mean when the apply the term “Powerful” to bike brakes?

Applying the STW pedants charter, I think people are confusing mechanical advantage and leverage with “Power” the only “power” or energy used by any of these braking systems is that of the riders index finger, The rest is pure mechanics…

Sui
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    I must admit surprised the saints come out about the same as deore and less powerful than slx, xt and xtr

doesnt inspire confidence in their methodology

i agree, though they do state they had a dodgy pair on test when you read the review – so how is that a true comparison i hear you say…. **** knows…

Northwind

Sui – Member

though they do state they had a dodgy pair on test when you read the review – so how is that a true comparison i hear you say….

From a reviewing point of view, it’s interesting to know that they’re sending out iffy brakes, no? Good to know how well things work at best, but also how they fail.

Anyway- lots of people using Deore as downhill brakes since the 595 (which made the dirt 100 too, incidentally). More than powerful enough for the job, the cheapness comes from weight, cheaper materials etc not from outright capability. Haven’t used 596 myself, Deore is for povs 😉

I think a lot of people confuse power with delivery tbh- very few brakes lack power these days but some feel immediately strong, some take more input.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which is more powerful Hope Tech or Hope Race?’ is closed to new replies.