Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which Hydraulic Disc Brake System?
  • KT1973
    Free Member

I'm looking to get a good hydraulic disc brake setup and would like some feedback.
    It will be used on my Santa Cruz Superlight for mainly XC and trail centres, but I also intend to enter some races eg 10 under the ben.
    It need to be a combination of lightweight, power and reliability, and so far I'm considering the following

Formula R1 or Oro
    Avid Elixir CR Mag
    Shimano XTR

What's the verdict? Will I notice a massive difference over the current set up with BB7, sintered pads and G3 rotors?

I don't want to be messing around with something that's a PITA to setup before/during each ride

I have noticed on my last ride that my front brake sounds like it's rubbing and I have to keep flicking the lever to reset it, which obviously slows me down and it's really annoying. Is there a perfect brake set?

Bazz

Only used the Elixir's but have found them to be excellent and can highly reccomend them.

mk1fan
    Free Member

See if you can have a test of each one as they all feel different.

The Elixir's will be the faffiest to set up and service. Not complicated or hard just faffy.

Shimano appear to be fit and forget. They also use mineral oil – the others use DOT fluids.

Don't know anything about Formula's.

Personally, I like the way Avid's work and feel so have no desire to change. I'm happy to faff with them when they need a service – once a year so far for me on all my sets. I find setting them up with the CPS bolts really easy. I run Elixir callipers and Ultimate levers on my XC bike with 160/140 rotors. Plenty of stopping power. Oh and I'm the wrong side of 15-stone in my kit.

Grimy
    Free Member

Fit and forget reliability, simplicity and ease of bleeding has to be the Shimano's! They just work, what more do you want? Formula are just a PITA!

KT1973
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies- so thumbs up for Avid and Shimano so far…..

Whyte1
    Free Member

Had ORO's for a couple of years and liked them so much got R1's to save some weight and they seem even better .
    Had the older XTR's which were trouble .
    The Avids are on a mates bike and eat pads and compared to the R1's weigh a tonne

KT1973
    Free Member

Whyte1- what size rotors are you using with the R1s?
    How is the stopping power?

Thanks

Northwind

The R1s are getting great reviews, very expensive though. XTR seems a bit outdated now, they're actually not all that light (450g with a 180mm disc according to WMB this month, so a wee bit heavier than say Louise Carbons)

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

All of the above are great brakes,but why not Hopes. I'll never use anything else.
    A few of my mates use R1s, they look great and work.But…..there have been a few problems with the master cylinders,phone for spares….a week later,no parts. Phone Hope and theparts will be with you next day.

KT1973
    Free Member

The only things putting me off the Hope's was
    1. I have heard that they are under powered, and I'd hate to spend 300 odd quid and end up with no major improvement over my old brakes.
    2. If I go abroad I'll need to carry a spare set of everything for them.

Have you not had these problems with yours Young Dave riley?
    Which model are you using?

Northwind

Hope didn't fare too well in that last big test in MBUK/WMB, X2 3 stars, M4 2 and a half, Race X2 2 and a half, V2 3 and a half. Not that reviews are always all that useful of course

mafiafish
    Free Member

Get formulas, power for their weight is off the charts, allowing you to drop a rotor size in most cases. Magura Louises are also very powerful and lighter than xtr and fairly cheap. I'm not a fan of hopes having seen every pair on our alps trip die. Elixrs sound good but IMO are over priced. The newer Hayes strokers are worth a look. The stroker aces are downhill brakes at xtr weight (but cheaper than formulas)

nickc

Hassle in getting spares and pads for Formula brakes made me get rid of mine, although for performance I think the R1 are pretty unbeatable. Never been that impressed with XTR, the higher up the scale of Shimano the less powerful and less easy to live with they seem to get. Avid always seem to get good reviews, although I always hear pad life seems to be quite short and sticky pistons seem to be a common issue.

aracer
    Free Member

Hassle in getting spares and pads for Formula brakes

Really? Never had that much problem with getting bits for mine – UK Cycle Store stocks spares. Mind you I am still using archaic B4 SLs – on this thread as I reckon it is probably nearing time for an upgrade (the problem being that most of these "light" brakes are heavier than what I've already got).

KT1973
    Free Member

aracer
    the problem being that most of these "light" brakes are heavier than what I've already got

That's the problem I have too. These BB7s are decent at stopping and weigh around the same per set as R1s or Elixir Cr, so for all that extra dosh there would have to be a marked increase in performance and reliability

KT1973
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Hope didn't fare too well in that last big test in MBUK/WMB, X2 3 stars, M4 2 and a half, Race X2 2 and a half, V2 3 and a half. Not that reviews are always all that useful of course

I must admit to being a sucker for reviews. This is what has been swaying me towards the Formulas but also, if you look on mtbr website, it's whats making me reluctant to change from the ones I've got.

ojom
    Free Member

Your LBS will never see you for servicing and repairs if you buy the Shimano.

Avid and Formula are our most 'in for a fiddle' brakes. Annoyingly they are present on many a bike in our range too…

Shimano for me personally, and also Onion, James the mechanic uses Avid and Formula though himself.

Whyte1
    Free Member

180mm front
    160mm rear and they are more powerfull than i need

aracer
    Free Member

These BB7s are decent at stopping and weigh around the same per set as R1s or Elixir Cr

Er, what exactly are you including in the weight for your BB7s? You do realise that hydraulic disc brake weights include caliper, hose, lever and disc, not just caliper and disc like the quoted weights for yours? I think you'll find your complete system is at least 100-150g an end more than mine!

Northwind

"Your LBS will never see you for servicing and repairs if you buy the Shimano."

Though to be fair that's partly because they're not very servicable or repairable. Bleeding, sure, but one of my XT's has a draggy seal and nobody can find me a seal seperate so it's going to be a whole new caliper, quite annoying.

UK-FLATLANDER

My LBS are big fans of Shimano and Magura – they hate Avid, and my experience with the wife's Juicy 7 is not good either. I like the look of the Formula brakes, but all the reviews suggest that they have high pad wear so it might be prudent to have a few sets of pads in stock.

duir
    Free Member

Hope tech brakes are superb. They are backed up with hopes second to none warranty and customer service. Anyone that says they lack power has not used them and are talking utter nonsense. They are fit and forget and very reliable.

I had the Avid elixir carbons (first generation) which were utter rubbish. I was sent 2 replacement sets under warranty no questions asked but it took the importers 4-6 weeks to turn them around. They required loads of maintenance, leaked air, went through pads every few weeks, leaked oil and went rusty. Not sure what the latest version is like but it put me off them for life. The only thing in their favour is they are light. These are codged together in Asia and like most SRAM group products these days…….put out to the public with loads of faults and not properly tested.

Several mechanics I know say the Formula may look nice and well made but are an utter mare to work on and get parts for. I have no experience of them.

Shimano are apparently very reliable and use mineral oil so won't give you severe dermatitis!

I would say Hope or Shimano if you like reliable brakes.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

KT,apologies for the late reply. I have C2s on the P7,the 3rd bike of mine that they've been fitted to.They were 2nd hand when I bought them,parts are still available.They seem to work better than ever on the Orange.
    I've got Mini Monos on the 575,again purchased second hand ans so far,no problems
    I wouldn't consider fitting any other brakes on my bikes;they perform superbly,the after sales is beyond reproach(a riding friend wrecked his brakes at last years Mega.Hope fixed them FOC) and they're made in England.Which might not count for much in STW land,but means a lot to me.
    I stopped believing magazine reviews backin the 80s….a recent classicwas some over-priced-piece-of- junk fork,that was falling to bits during the test and they still gave it a 9!!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which Hydraulic Disc Brake System?’ is closed to new replies.