Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which Hope wheels?
  • wheelie

Looking for wheels to build up Cotic Soul and Soda. Wondered which Hope wheels would be best for XC. I will be running 100mm. forks and, i’m 10 1/2 stone and ride light on my wheels. I want them to feel lightish and sprightly,and rarely run any tyres larger than 2.1. Grateful for your help!

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Are you looking for something durable?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Pro2 evo on crest I’d go for.

andyl
    Free Member

If you wanted something good second hand then something like Hope hubs with Mavic XC 717 rims would be a good place to start.

If you want new then I would look at some Stans rims – Crests should be fine and will run much wider than 2.1. Arch EX will be a bit tougher and heavier but as touch as you will probably need to go. Will save a bit over the 717s and be easier for tubeless.

There may be some slightly ligher rims out there too, stans or otherwise.

As for hubs…Hope – good reputation and back up – and resale, Superstar – good hubs, DT swiss – very good hubs, CK – very nice but getting a bit expensive!

Most fancy hubs allow you to swap the axle types which can be very useful for future proofing.

onewheelgood

Pro3 on Crests – seriously light, look lovely, and you won’t be bothering the 85kg weight limit.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Go with Crests, I’ve been running 355’s on my 140mm FS for 2 years and they’re more than enough for all sorts if trail riding.

Got Crests on my 29’er HT and they’re great too.

wheelie

thanks for your advice everybody. Sounds like the Crests will do the job.
    Fluxhuchinson, were you making a recommendation?

compass81

For the price the ready made XC-SP3 (or SP6 if you want to keep 6 bolt rotors) seem a bargin when compared to the equivalent Mavic’s or DT’s. I’ve been running a pair for three years on DT4.1d’s and was so impressed that I got my wife a pair on Crest’s which seem even better. If you are after light wheels these are the ones, she (who 8st if you’re lucky) really noticed the extra zip in her ride up the hills. Reliability appears excellent and maintenance is straight forward.

SBrock
    Free Member

Does anybody actually buy second hand wheels?

Trekster

Crests?
    Given the threads re getting tyres on recently this might be worth some research.
    Have just ordered some Mavic/Hopes. The wheel builder I spoke to would not have Crests/Flow on his jig!! Cheese he reckons, especially for a heavy/heavy rider like myself
    I have other, 7-8yr old Hope/Mavic/Wtb combos and see no reason to use anything else
    Just my tuppence worth 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which Hope wheels?’ is closed to new replies.