• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which headset?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

To go onto my Heckler – a playbike with simplicity in mind.
    No Hope – bad experiences.
    No CK – silly price.
    Looking at these:
    1. Da Bomb Nuclear Black 1.1/8″
    2. Nuke Proof Warhead SL Black 1.1/8″
    3. FSA XLII Cartridge Headset Black 1.1/8″
    Priced around £35 each.
    Opinions please.

keppoch

I was just about to type the same question! I will stay tuned.

keppoch.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Cane Creek S9 as good as CK, but a lot cheaper.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Cane Creek, … simplesss

allankelly

You know what? I changed my mind today. I have (very) long-term Hope and CK headsets and yes, they work well + forever. My favourite and always-recommend is the FSA Pig. It’s cheap and indestructible. Arrives dry though, so pack with grease. Cheap as chips.

BUT! Then! I fitted the Superstar (I know, bear with me…) headset I WON at SSUK09 for having the oldest bike (the one with the childseat + the teddy bear) to a frame for my son today. It’s great! Apparently it’s very cheap. Obviously it could explode tomorrow, but cartridge bearings, split crown-race, light, cheap… Yeah, looks good why not.

There you go then. Pig guaranteed or superstar bit of a gamble.

Cheers, al.

druidh
    Free Member

II have an Aerozine (the make SS supply) on my Ti hardtail and it’s on its way out after around 18 months. I was thinking of a Crank Bros replacement.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I always end up with a FSA headset so probably all I’m looking for is a reason not to. Light, reliable, cheap, black. Darn, what a dilemma!

Lummox

Gotta suggest the FSA Pig,gert big bearings on the bottom race, and flippin simple to service, have run several on bikes after fuming at other ‘options’

allankelly

… and there’s a “Pig plus” model int there? Hmm, what’s that called….

Well, wiggle have them in stock under £16.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/FSA_Pig_Aheadset/125673781/#buyitem

Aha! and the leprecauns have loads of them. The ‘super’ version is the “FSA Pig DH Pro Headset” at £35. Looks like it would survive nuclear war. Wiggle’s cheaper for the basic though.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=fsa+pig&DoSort=true&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

Hairychested
    Free Member
    Hairychested
    Free Member

Bought the above. Sorted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

can we have a followup? I bough a ‘cheep’ Cane Creek S8 from merlin which disintegrated (litteraly, the stainle steel races rusted through!), apparently FSA&CC make OEM headsets as well………………..

Lionheart
    Free Member

We have been through most of those, FSA have been OK, Hope alright but dont get them now but the CK just keep going – for life around here so cheapest! if you dont want the new price then buy a very good condition one off here around for around £50-£60 no brainer as far as I am concerned – though did like the FSA deal above….

Hairychested
    Free Member

I got 4 years of daily riding without any issues from Cane Creek Tank II, a year (so far) from S6, the FSA on wife’s bike is 3 years old and no issues.
    I’ll see this one.
    CK headsets have another characteristics – sometimes they struggle with longer forks, at least according to this very forum. Besides, I’d go for Reset headset over CK (think Niccolai vs. Orange) if I were flush.

kiwijohn

FSA Orbit X needs new bearings on the race bike after only 18 months of light use. I’ve got Race Face Real Seals on 2 bikes, 5 & 10 years old. The oldest has had a new set of bearings.
    Can you still get Real Seals?

Clink

What wrong with Hope? I’ve got one on the commuter and one on the mtb witbs.h no problems. Having said that also had Cane Creek S3 with no probs.

glenh
    Free Member

Kept my forks steering faultlessly for abut a year now:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=112

Hairychested
    Free Member

I had a Hope headset off here which was in supposedly great condition. It felt rough and poorly made.
    If the bearings last a year I’m fine with it.

turneround

Cane creek 110, the best out there and you get a 110 yr guarantee!!!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Have you seen the price? Besides, I’ll change the bike before then, so no need for such.

DrP

Just ordered the fsa orbit extreme pro too!
    Was looking at the orbit mx for £25 from on-one, but although this one is a bit heavier (15gm) it’s also a bit beefier, which’ll suit me fine.

The Pig DH on my meta is a bit too piggy for me!
    Anyone interested in it when it comes off? A bit of cable rub on the lower crown, but still nice and smooth…

DrP

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which headset?’ is closed to new replies.