Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • which HDMI cable?
  • Ceebug
    Free Member

Hi,
    I am looking for advice regarding which AV HDMI cable to get. It has to be able to handle 3D. I see that some of the top line ones cost hundreds of pounds, so my question is how much difference is there between these expensive cables and something like an Audioquest Pearl for £35 which still gets 5 stars from What Hifi? I want to get good audio and visual performance but don’t really want to spend 300 quid. Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions?

Thanks.

nealglover
    Free Member

They are all the same.

Digital signal is either there or it isn’t.

ton

what length?

and nealglover is right.

molgrips
    Free Member

No difference. Get any one constructed with reasonable quality ie £30-50, if you really want to splash out.

I am happy to talk about the differences in speaker cable or hifi interconnects, but I just can’t understand how there’d be any difference in HDMI cables for video.

Maybe, just maybe, there might be a difference in digital audio cables, but even then I am scepitical.

Jamie
    Free Member

The most expensive one you can afford.

…preferably in red as its faster.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

There are some ropy ones out there, if it’s getting buried in a wall, then you need to make sure it’ll last

PrinceJohn

You wouldn’t worry or spend hundreds on a usb cable so why bother about a hdmi cable?

sc-xc

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

not

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

It’s all in the detail.

Ceebug
    Free Member

Good stuff. Thanks for the advice….

uwe-r
    Free Member

Morrisons £9.99

Cougar

Tesco Value HDMI cable. Five quid.

Seriously, digital isn’t like analogue. It works or it doesn’t, signal quality is identical. Pay a couple of quid extra for better build quality if you like, but anything more than a tenner and it’s snake oil, you’re wasting money.

For 3D support you need a “high speed HDMI” cable; that’s the official designation, look for the logo:

All HDMI cables should carry this sort of logo on their packaging. Whether they do or not is another matter.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

This link’s not about HDMI but I’m sure it’s equally applicable

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

dantsw13

When I bought my 3d telly in John Lewis, the geek there told me all the 3d tv’s in store were set up with the JL standard HDMI cables. They sell ones as 3d for twice the price. It don’t bother.

anjs
    Free Member

FOr 3d they need to support the 1.4 standard

damo2576
    Free Member

Short runs – whatever works/is cheapest

Long runs >3m – I think you need to spend a bit of money here, I have a 6m run round a room and done it with a cheap one and noticed artifacting from lost packets/data, issue disappears with decent cable – and thats not an expensive one, just reasonable, c£30.

unovolo
    Free Member

Depends of the length ,if the cable you require is 3 metres or more it’s worth spending a little more to reduce attenuation(signal loss).

With a standard set up any cable will do even the £1.99 specials on amazon.
    I have set customers TV’s and Sky Hd boxes up with the all singing & dancing £80 monster leads then switched to the bog standard Hdmi cable that’s included in Sky HD boxes,guess what no discern able difference.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I agree that there is no real difference between HDMI cables apart from build quality.

I tend to buy Belkin “Pure” cables, you can get them for less than a tenner and they are well made to take my ham fisted abuse.

Amazon Belkin HDMI

Ebay

CountZero

I think the one connecting my Bravia to my SkyHD box is the one that came free with the box. Works fine. When I bought my Cambridge DVD99 player I bought a cable from the Pound shop.

Ceebug
    Free Member

Cheers folks. You are all very helpful! I have ordered a suitably cheep cable :o)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You can’t go wrong with ThatCable or something from Cable Universe

trailmonkey

yup cable universe is the place to go.

i worked there for a couple of years.

anything more than a couple of quid and you’re just throwing money away

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘which HDMI cable?’ is closed to new replies.