Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which GPS would you recomend for a Munro Bagger ?
  • Hal
    Free Member

Which GPS should i buy for my son who is a Munro bagger ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Do it with a map and compass.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I just use a basic Garmin eTrex for hill walking. It lives in the bottom of my rucksack as a "just in case". I'm a very competent and highly-qualified navigator, but I'd also be very glad to have one handy if the sh*t hit the fan somewhere like the top of Ben Nevis or the Cairngorm plateau.

Basic eTrex will tell you where you are right now, which is all you need in conjunction with a map and compass, but you can also set it up very quickly (on the go) to do an "Ok, that's where I am, take me to [over there]".

starseven
    Free Member

As both above
    I use a map and compass and an etrex as back up. The basic model has the best battery life and is all you need in a white out or such.

Hal
    Free Member

cheers, etrex it is.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Or a Geko (over 400 Munros to my name…..)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Agree with above, I have the basic Garmin GPS60 and, apart from being used as a speedo for the boat, it only gets used very occasionally. I used to use it for collecting data on walks/runs/bike rides etc, but that novelty has worn off now, so it sits at the bottom of the rucksack just in case. If I was buying again, I'd probably go for the etrex with (H) high sensitivity models, they work under dense tree cover and in built up areas, or so they claim. If your son is only ever going to use in on mountains, then maybe that's not an important feature.

Innes
    Free Member

I use a eTrex Venture HC for lots of different things, on my bike, out running, and navigating hills, as a way of double checking my navigation, and it works really well.

The new GPS units are really good, as the high sensitivity receivers now work under tree cover, and are very accurate.

boblo
    Free Member

Glen More – Member
    Or a Geko (over 400 Munros to my name…..)

Good going considering there are only 284 😀 Presumably you're claiming tops as Munros…

erny
    Free Member

Have a look at mine for sale in the classifieds

Swello
    Free Member

Boblo – do you not mean 283 munros?? Keep up man 🙂

Oh and a Geko definitely – perfect for someone who can use a map and compass anyway and doesn't need any fancy stuff (a mere 240 odd to my name 🙁 )

GlenMore
    Free Member

boblo – Member

> Glen More – Member
    > Or a Geko (over 400 Munros to my name…..)

Good going considering there are only 284 Presumably you're claiming tops as Munros…

You're allowed to climb them more than once you know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS would you recomend for a Munro Bagger ?’ is closed to new replies.