Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which GPS tracking app?
  • Cougar

Someone just mentioned Strava in another thread. Seems this is Yet Another GPS app that I’d previously heard nothing about.

I run and I ride, though neither as often as I like recently. I now have more options for ride tracking apps than I do rides to track.

I’m going to try and work my way through all these slowly, but I was wondering if anyone already had done. Thoughts, pros / cons / preferences?

Strava / Endomondo / Runkeeper / Everytrail / My Tracks Fitocracy / Something Else? What do you use?

donsimon
    Free Member

Endomondo serves me well enough, I might have a rethink if Brailsford gives me a call.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Strava, it’s awesome but addictive with it’s KOM’s
    Download both free Running and Cycling apps

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve stuck with Endomondo. It seems to work pretty well on my HTC phone, I can upload from both of my Garmins and I’m involved in a few regular challenges with mates.

Cougar

What the geoff is a “KOM”?

Both? Wait, what, there’s two Stravas? Oh good god.

jonba
    Free Member

Strava. Does most of what the others do for me but also lets me find out how awesome I am by letting me win KOMs.

jonba
    Free Member

KOM is king of the mountain. You can highlight sections of path or trail you have risen and it produces a league table of all the people who have ridden it.

You can then “race” others on the section to see who is the most awesome. You can set them so they are up or down hills.

Taff
    Free Member

Strava is good on the phone but uses battery pretty quickly I find in comparison with Endomondo. Also used mapmyride which was pretty good too

thehustler
    Free Member

motionx is pretty good too, although i seem to always come back to endomondo

Neil-F
    Free Member

I use Runkeeper for both running and cycling, but tend to use Strava if I’m at a trail centre.
    I had Endomondo for a while on my HTC but it kept straight-lining.

dobo
    Free Member

i use my garmin devices and upload to strava, it works better than my wildfire

also check out mytrails, mytracks and orux?

DezB
    Free Member

MotionX was recommended to me cos you can import .gpx tracks. Great little app. Different from Endomondo which is more of a training/fitness aid. Not used Strava cos the “hype” has put me off.

colournoise

All on Android (HTC Desire HD).

Strava has best (in my experience) tracking and KOM stuff (plus the nice ‘hide’ my home’ feature).
    Endomondo has best website/community but the mobile tracking is dire.
    Sportstracker looks nicest but has no real USP, tracking is OK.
    Sportypal has good tracking and a neat online route editor that none of the others have AFAIK.

Tend to track in either Strava or Sportypal and then export from there to Endomondo.

slainte 😀 rob

steviedog
    Free Member

Use Runkeeper here. Used to have the Elite version whereby the mrs could see exactly where I was at any time via a live link to a web site.

Handy for her as she would have some idea where I was if I fell, which I did a few times last year. Handy for me as she would know when I was approaching and would have a nice cuppa just poured for me as I got in.

enigmas
    Free Member

+1 for strava, be warned though, you might find every ride quickly becoming a race!
    It’s worth it though for that smug feeling when you KOM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS tracking app?’ is closed to new replies.