Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which GPS??? Help!
  • Matt
    Free Member

I’m after a GPS with a mapping function and my initial thoughts are on the following –

Garmin Etrex 30
    Memory Map 2500

Does anyone have any experience with the above and can you answer a couple of questions?

Etrex –
    This comes with no OS mapping, as such are there any free maps that are genuinely good enough for off-road exploring?

Memory Map –
    I know nothing about them, so any info is appreciated.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I had a Memory Map Adventurer 3500. Actually, I had 5 as they were all replaced under warranty. Eventually I asked for (and received) a full refund as I got so pished off with it.
    Basically, don’t get one.

Now using a secondhand phone with no sim card, and mmtracker android app.

VanMan
    Free Member

Depends on your budget, I suppose, but I use a Garmin GPSMap 62S comes with OS maps loaded. Has been flawless even though it has been severely mistreated 😳 gets a great signal lock even in dense cover plus it takes the ANT+ sensors – I have now added the (pointless but fun) temperature sensor, but it also takes HR/Cadence/etc sensors

geoffj

The Etrex 30 will take OSM maps from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

Whilst they are different format to OS maps, they have improved significantly over the past couple of years and in some instances I prefer them to the OS equivalent.

I’d avoid the Memory Maps unit

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ive got the Etrex20, use the pseudo OS mapping from talkytoaster

http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm#GPSRs-Only

loaded the one with contour maps and yes its just like the OS map but didnt cost £100. You can find maps for all over the globe, Ive saved one of france onto a microSD card for future Alps trips.

The etrex arent bike-specific so dont talk to HRMs, cadence sensors etc and also use a different Garmin software/site (Basecamp not Connect) so if youre into sharing stuff with mates who use Edges it wont work easily, but it is a brilliant bit of kit and the bar mount, whilst overpriced and basic, is rock solid.

Matt
    Free Member

Cheers guys, really appreciate the advice! The etrex sounds good to me!

MarkLG
    Free Member

What about the Dakota 20? Similar size and price, but it’s got a bigger screen. Also works with Ant+ sensors, and the touch screen works fine with gloves.

butcher

The Etrex is a good unit for mapping. Takes AA batteries too, which makes it useful for multi-day rides.

I wouldn’t rely on it too much for mapping on the fly. In my experience they’re much more useful if you plan your route beforehand. The OSM maps are OK, but not as good as OS in my experience – but perhaps maybe I need to download something more up to date, there are quite a few choices available.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Etrx 20 here – excellent.

I use OSM on there and it’s good, and have actually updated OSM with a few paths thet I walked but weren’t on it.

johnnystorm

Dakota 20 & get your OS maps from ioffer.com for £20 or so. Invest in some good rechargables, mine lasted for 10 hours on 2900mah AAs and still showed 50% left. 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

If you are after a GPS for mapping on OS and no fancy cadence/heart rate stuff, the Satmap Active 10 is widely regarded as the best.

It has a bigger screen than the competition, is tough and uses buttons instead of touchscreen so easy to operate with gloves on.

There is an Active 12 coming out very soon so I suspect there will be 10s on offer.

geoffj

If you are after a GPS for mapping on OS and no fancy cadence/heart rate stuff, the Satmap Active 10 is widely regarded as the best.

The Active 10 is a big lumbering bit of kit that set the benchmark for os mapping on a hand held device.
    Things have however moved on quite a bit, and the newer Garmin stuff is streets ahead for usability at a cheaper price.

neninja
    Free Member

I beg to differ.

The Satmap is big but that makes it easier to see, buttons are better when gloved. It’s also very robust – I’ve been over the bars more than once with one on.

Lots of the people I know with Garmin’s have had issues with them, a touchscreen is a daft idea for an outdoor unit and the software seems glitchy.

The people I know who work in the outdoors use Satmaps for guiding, etc. Numerous Mountain Rescue teams rely on the Satmap as it is so reliable.

epicyclo

SatMap?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS??? Help!’ is closed to new replies.