Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Which GPS for me?
  • thered

I’m not particularly interested in using it as a training aid, I want basically the best mapping and navigation tool I can get.

dazzlingboy

Garmin Oregon 450t – used extensively at home and abroad. Brilliant piece of kit.

I’ve had 8/9 GPSs over the years and this is the best by a long chalk.

Currently use an Edge 305 for the bike for comparing ride times etc, but the Oregon is in a different class altogether.

highclimber
    Free Member

Lowrance Endura Safari. compared it to the Oregon and the mapping on it is far superior (faster and clearer)

dazzlingboy

I haven’t tried the new Safari with the OS mapping, but they had major problems getting the OS mapping to work on it about a year ago – I take it now sorted?

I always found the Lowrance interface poor (as with Magellan) but depends what you’re used to I guess.

clubber
    Free Member

The best – SatMap Active 10 I reckon though it’s not cheap…

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/satmap-active10-handheld-topo-gps-a10115.php

thered

Will they both accept a route loaded from memorymap?

Are there any systems that don’t offer compatibility with memorymap?

cxi
    Free Member
    VanMan
    Free Member

Just got a Garmin GPSmap 62s, to replace an ageing Vista Cx, and so far very impressed. Tried the Oregon but it was just to slow when scrolling the maps.

The GPSMap 62s uses the same software as the Oregon but disposes of the touchscreen. I can also say it is very robust as it has already survived a major stack into a tree 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

I haven’t tried the new Safari with the OS mapping, but they had major problems getting the OS mapping to work on it about a year ago – I take it now sorted?

yes its all sorted now its running Mapyx QuoMobile XT. I was told that most of the mountain rescue teams are using these as they believe it be about the most accurate device on the market + the fact that they use Quo mapping for their search and rescue planning.

BadlyWiredDog

Satmap seconded – designed for OS mapping from the ground up, latest ones much better than the early stuff, quicker, bigger screen, simple to use. Imports GPX files fine, so anything that exports GPX, which I’m assuming Memory Map does, will be fine. Waterproof case coming soon, cut a hole in the bottom for the bike mount.

Garmin – I’ve used two Oregons with OS mapping and while the basic unit is good, I find the interface irksome – like why do you have to go through three menus to reset the trip computer? Also the screens are small compared to the Active 10 and the mapping displays poorly and scrolls slowly. Ditto the new button-operated one.

Lowrance – now comes with Quo mapping installed and the same set of mapping for your PC. Much better than the original Lowrance mapping interface and the mapping displays fast and scrolls at a reasonable speed, plus you get aerial photography below a certain zoom level, which is neat. Touch screen and buttons, which is just weird and slightly confusing plus means the screen is small. But the software is clunky, routes and tracks are hard to identify and manage and you keep having to switch the GPS reception on instead of it just being on. Lack of integration between hardware and software. It’s okay, but the Satmap ime is so much better albeit more expensive once the mapping’s taken into account.

If you have a smartphone, ViewRanger on that is great. Very versatile, easy to use, fast and light. You need some sort of weather resistant case, but the best phone app I’ve used. iPhone, ViewRanger also excellent, but iPhone battery life in GPS mode is woeful, so you need to look at power supplementation as well.

I’m about to do a round-up of the whole lot, but in a nutshell, Satmap or ViewRanger on a smartphone work better than anything else out there in my experience.

mcboo
    Free Member

Dont get a Garmin Edge as a routing device. I have a 605, while it is great for recording and comparing training rides and speeds it is frankly a horrible GPS. Terrible clunky user interface, took me ages to figure out how to plan rides and download. Just last weekend it let me down again, sent me miles in the wrong direction. As for its claim that you can upload other people’s routes and follow them…….you almost always cant.

RTFM? Well I did, AND quizzed Garmin for some help. Hopeless website, helpdesk even worse. Its probably a decent device, they just havent bothered to make it user friendly.

I’d sell mine if there was a decent bike specific alternative.

singletracksurfer

satmap 4th’d.

great bit of kit (but yes its pretty expensive).
    sooo much better than using my phone.

BadlyWiredDog

yes its all sorted now its running Mapyx QuoMobile XT. I was told that most of the mountain rescue teams are using these as they believe it be about the most accurate device on the market + the fact that they use Quo mapping for their search and rescue planning.

Have you used it? As above, I’d say it’s better than the Lowrance stuff when launched, but management of routes, tracks, GPS logs is starting to annoy me. Nothing seems to be dated, which makes them hard to identify and, for example.

As far as the MRT stuff goes, as I understand it, pretty much all these GPS units use the same chip-set and are as accurate as each other, though the Garmins seem to get an initial fix faster. It’s a nice idea, but I suspect Mapyx has simply donated their stuff to MR, which is great, and is capitalising on the fact.

clubber
    Free Member

mcboo – strange – my 605 seems to work perfectly for that – get gpx file, copy to the relevant folder on the device and off you go… Done it with other people’s routes too…

As to planning the rides, just do that on bikely or similar and download the GPX.

‘Sent miles in the wrong direction’ – did you have it set to follow roads when you were doing an offroad ride?

BadlyWiredDog

Memory Map have a new model out soon:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/adventurergps/index.php/adventurer-3500.html

Same software as the smaller one, sorry, but it’s truly awful to use unless you’re used to using MM already. It’s their old Pesonal PC software and really doesn’t translate over well to a smalll GPS unit – think text that’s so small you can barely read it and menu closure ‘x’ marks stuck in the corner of the screen that you can’t physically use without a stylus or some kind.

highclimber
    Free Member

Have you used it? As above, I’d say it’s better than the Lowrance stuff when launched, but management of routes, tracks, GPS logs is starting to annoy me. Nothing seems to be dated, which makes them hard to identify and, for example.

yeah, I have borrowed my granddads device. I admit the file management is a little arkward but not impossible to figure out.

thered

So Satmap a clear winner at the mo, how would I plan a route for it.

A mate tells me he uses memory map on his pc for the route then simply saves it to his Garmin Etrex, can I do that with the Satmap? Does it use an alternate route planner?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

So Satmap a clear winner at the mo, how would I plan a route for it.

I use Bikehike.co.uk. Simply plan you route then save as a GPX file and load onto the device.
    Edit; Have a look here. It tells you all you need to know.

spindi
    Free Member

I suppose you’re going to boo me but I do everything on my iPhone with an app called Trails. Just make sure you have a MiLi battery pack along with you. Lasts about 7 hours. Works a charm on my 3G. Planning routes, downloading map info etc. Connectivity very good that way.

Plus now with the NavFree app you can have a Garmin / TomTom turn by turn driving thing with very up to date maps. I use this with a Griffin car charger / FR Radio broadcast holder.

http://trails.lamouroux.de/
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-uk-roi/id391334793?mt=8

clubber
    Free Member

Not waterproof is it though spindi which is why I have a ‘proper’ GPS as well as my iPhone (which I just use to log the routes rather than to follow them).

dazzlingboy

Satmap great but the winner for me (which is why I went for the Garmin) are the inbuilt Geocaching features – none of which exist on the Satmap etc. Sure you can do it but it just works best on the Garmins.

If you’re not into Geocaching, then not an issue.

thered

The satmap isn’t waterproof is it? I see there’s a waterproof case as an accessory so I’m guessing not.

Does anybody know how the waterproof case affects functionality.

clubber
    Free Member

Satmap say:

It is important to remember that the Active 10 unit is weatherproof (NOT waterproof), which means it can withstand weather conditions such as rain and snow, but is not sumergible in water. Rated at IP65, the Active 10 will have no harmful effects from rain and is also dust tight.

http://www.satmap.com/pdf/CARE-A10-UG-GB-1007.pdf

So not waterproof but fine for real world use unless you take it swimming (or you’re SfB)

thered

I think I’d prefer something waterproof cos I’m clusmy as a clumsy thing. How do these things tell you when to turn, do they beep at a waypoint or something?

What’s geo-coaching btw?

What SfB while I’m at it?

clubber
    Free Member

Some beep at turns. Other reasonably enough expect you to pay a tiny bit of attention to where you’re going since you’re already being lazy and using a GPS instead of map/compass 🙂

http://www.geocaching.com/

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/simonfbarnes – considers riding his bike underwater to be part of normal mtbing…

djflexure

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

This site is great – 1:50 and 1:25K OS maps of GB

BadlyWiredDog

Does anybody know how the waterproof case affects functionality.

I’ve seen the waterproof case and it’s designed so the unit is totally functional with it fitted. Only issue is that it won’t fit the bike mount, oh, but apparently Steve Heading, I think, has been using one and cut a hole in the cover for the bike mount with no issues.

In normal use, the Satmap is pretty weather resistant ime, though water or, more disgustingly, sweat tends to sit behind the polycarbonate screen protector and dry out.

And blimey, they finally appear to have lanched SatSynch for the Mac – Beta version – and about time too :-/

offthebrakes
    Free Member

How soon exactly is the Satmap waterproof case coming?

highclimber
    Free Member

if you buy a GPS, such as the Satmap, that isn’t IPX 7 rated and it gets water damaged through normal use (of which there have been cases) you have no comeback really if you didn’t use the case.

for that reason and the extortionate cost of the SD cards I would much prefer something that IS waterproof and able to hold as many maps as I need without having to swap SD cards.

BadlyWiredDog

I think the Satmap case is out in November. My experience of the Satmap, fwiw, is that it’s fine in normal, wet weather use, though I know kayakers have had issues with it. The wateproof case should sort that, though it may make it a little bulky.

I’m not saying the Lowrance is crap, btw, it feels as tough as old boots and has IPX 7 waterproofing, I just prefer the way the Active 10 works and the screen is much larger. I don’t find swapping SD cards that difficult, I have a big slice of the UK on one card, the northern half, and mostly that’s all I need, but I take your point.

Have you used one btw, a Satmap. I just find it a lot easier to use than the Lowrance, though yes, it’s more expensive and no, it’s not waterproof in a submersible way. So yes, I guess if waterproofing and cost are important, the Lowrance is a decent option.

fbk
    Free Member

The new Garmin Edge 800 looks promising, if expensive. Especially if you don’t want the training aids. Full OS mapping too (either via the official garmin ones or “custom mapping”)

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve had an Oregon for over a year & like it a lot, its got a fair scuff from a 25mph crash on tarmac & its been totally submerged a few times (in fact I run it under the tap after muddy rides) touch screen is perfect & unit still works fine.

why do you have to go through three menus to reset the trip computer?

According to Garmin, its so you don’t reset it by mistake.

Those suffering the slow scrolling issues should try updating the firmware (free on the Garmin site) made a big difference to mine.

Got the full UK 1:50000 on a 8gig SD card with 5.2gig left (bought from a guy that is selling them for £60 due to his company buying to many)

spindi
    Free Member

Not waterproof is it though spindi which is why I have a ‘proper’ GPS as well as my iPhone

True, I use mine for logging more than following tracks. Keep it in a waterproof chest pocket. Job done. I guess there are some bar mounts and stuff out there that could make it work though I can see the advantage in something a bit more bomb proof.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Thread Hijack, sorry. Im wanting to “map” a trail through a remote area of Nepal on a GPS and then transfer ir to x amount of identical units for other people to follow.

There are no digital maps of the area, and not even any really accurate paper maps, so Im guessing a “breadcrumb” trail would be my only alternative.

What would be the most cost effective , ie cheapest unit / units that I could do this with?

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

Garmin Etrex H would do that perfectly.

johnmandy
    Free Member

Just got my new adventurer 3500 ipx 7 rated, came with a bike mount, carry case, protective silicon sleeve complete 1-50000 gb mapping and a real fast scrolling 3.5 inches of screen, it probably needs a few software updates as did the satmap when first introduced, tested 3 times on my mtb, performed outstandingly,previously owned the 2800 and by the way a totally mis-understood gps unit which once mastered was a joy to use.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Garmin Oregon 450 – because its bullet proof. This baby has already taken a lot of abuse. Remember if your going to have it on the front of your MTB what its likely to face over the coming months. One finger gloved operation very easy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

SOH – Nepal, there are plenty of very good maps for Nepal:

try these for GPS
    http://www.nepalgpsmap.com/en/order.html

SOH – Try here for paper
    http://www.stanfords.co.uk/

Paper is the cheapest option but GPS is far better.

I would recommend a GPS with a AA type battery size for remote parts of the world as they are cheap and readily available even in the remotest regions. I have Garmin 450 which I use abroad and its perfect for walking, MTB, cycling. Health Warning. People should be proficient with the GPS before leaving the UK and they try using it in a remote area.

neninja
    Free Member

I use a Satmap in conjunction with http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk for route planning – perfect

bikergbr
    Free Member

Johnmandy
    Is the 3500 better than the 2800 in terms of battery life and operating system?

Thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS for me?’ is closed to new replies.