• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which GPS? (or other bike related gadget for the cash????)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

edge 305 with cadence and HRM sounds good

but the oregon 200 has much better maps.

Will the oregon work with the seperate HRM and cadence bobins? Are they worth it?

I use HRM and cadence sensors on road rides, but rarely think back to them, more for training rides “I need to do 10 minutes at 80rpm, 170bpm up this hill before droping to 100rpm and 140bpm to recover on the rest of it”.

Will mainly be used on road rides, off road theres enough stoping and faffing for map reading not to be a chore.

Alternatively……………………..
    Would I appreciate an adjustable seatpost more? Similar in its ability to reduce the ammount of stops when out alone. But I ride with my seat up my arse all the time anyway and don’t feel it holds me back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no one at all?

Blurboy
    Free Member

Satmap Active 10 every time. Had a 705 Garmin but not for long – no useable mapping. Have adjustable post – wouldn’t ride without it. Depends on which ride I do which one is more value – both together is ideal

clubber
    Free Member

The os mapping for the oregon isn’t available for the whole uk yet so check out what’s actually there before getting one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm, might leave it another few years, seems that the mapping is still silly prices, it seems coparable to buying every OS map for the entire country, when at most your only ever likely to use 10-20 with anything like regularity!

the OpenStreetMap looks ood, but i wouldn’t like to stumble off the edge of whats been covered!

DrP

Well, I have an edge 605 which I use as a glorified bike computer, but when it comes to ‘following routes’ (as opposed to tracking routes) I use memory map to plan the route, then upload it to the edge unit.
    Search for a recent thread of mine that shows how to get ‘fairly decent’ detailed maps for free, and you’ll have a bit of detail on there.

I agree – if you’re in the middle of nowhere and want to plan a route back whilst out on the trail, i think the edge series will struggle, but if you’ve planned a route beforehand and uploaded it to the unit, it works brilliantly in a ‘follow the line’ style…

DrP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS? (or other bike related gadget for the cash????)’ is closed to new replies.