Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which German DH bike?
  • sharkattack

I need (okay, really, really want) a DH bike for the summer and I’ve been scouring the classifieds for weeks. I have worn myself out and gone into that lust/research/headspin overload condition.

I decided a Canyon would be good as it’s at the upper limit of what I want to spend and the spec is amazing. Then yesterday, the new YT happened.

I need to give my brain a break from bikes for a few hours. While I calm down, does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Canyon Torque

YT Tues

I wish it was June already so I could just ride the thing.

Its got to be the YT, Its an absolute bargain at £ 2650.00 !!!!

mildred

My Nicolai Helius ST absolutely mint at £1250…!! 😀

nigelb001
    Free Member

We sometimes think too much, take a step back for a while. Asking on a forum usually will create even more confusion. If it were my money it would be the YT Tues – such a capable bike for the money and getting all the good reviews.

Nice hijack mildred.

carlphillips
    Free Member

canyon looks betterer
    yt is great too

tbh you would struggle to buy a “bad” bike for around that money so go for the one that you want to ride the most…

hth!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The YT does appear to be stupidly good VFM (well, for a £2600 push bike anyway). And Boss suspension appeals to the niche-whore side of my personality!

Specialized’s offering at that price comes with mid range boxxers and fox Van shock, not that that’s a bad spec, but you have to wonder how on earth the Germans do it!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

YT Tues without doubt. Regardless of the YT’s crazy price the Canyon is actually not that great. The frame just doesn’t work.

mildred

Nice hijack mildred

Cheers..! Succinct & to the point.

Other than the extremely awesome Nicolai ST than I’m selling (from lack of use & sporting a brand new CCDB) my money would be on the YT (if you can get one as they sell out very quickly).

sharkattack

Thanks the input, I hear what you’re saying. I know the YT looks like the one to have, especially since it’s cheaper than most of the used stuff I’ve been looking at.

The things that kept the Canyon in contention was;
    The Fox 40 that I used for a week in Morzine last year was the best DH fork I’ve ever used and I love how easy it is to have things serviced and repaired by Mojo.
    CCDB is amazing. Head and shoulders above anything I’ve used before.
    I know what the reviews say but I’m still a bit sceptical of BOS stuff.
    Oh, and Deemax’s look sick!
    I thought it would work alright as well being an FSR layout. Top tube looks a bit high though.

Can’t wait until the delivery dates for the YT come out.

WBC

I’ve got a Tues and it’s amazing. Take a look at the Dirt review. From memory they pretty much say that it is the best DH bike, regardless of price.

WBC

I’ve got a Tues and it’s amazing. Take a look at the Dirt review. From memory they pretty much say that it is the best DH bike, regardless of price.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

2nd hand is probably the best way if you just want a bike to take to morzine for the week.

Have you searched pinkbike?

mikey74
    Free Member

I know it’s apocryphal, but I was out in Whistler in the Summer and was chatting to someone who had been out to Morzine, or Les Gets, or somewhere like that, and apparently the place was littered (metaphorically speaking) with broken Tuesdays.

Having said that, that is the only time I have heard this, so may not be a big issue with them.

sharkattack

2nd hand is probably the best way if you just want a bike to take to morzine for the week.

Have you searched pinkbike?

Relentlessly! I’m sick of looking.

I’m looking for a long termer as well, the one week in Morzine was last year. This year I’m driving down there and not coming back until I’m broke. Financially or physically whichever is first.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get the most solid frame you can then, with a good warranty.

Nukeproof probably.

sharkattack

Just found this. I believe the noise I made was something like ‘HHNNNGGG’

not a german

Better pic here;

Can’t compete with the YT at that crazy price.
    But oh what’s that?? 0% finance over 36 months?????

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice, but how reliable are bos? how easy to service out there in the alps?

I’d get something solid and reliable thats easy to service yourself. Probably some old Marz 888’s!

mboy
    Free Member

Nice, but how reliable are bos? how easy to service out there in the alps?

Good point well made

Just to add balance though… BOS are a French company, so if anything did go too badly wrong, you’d no doubt be able to post them off for a service and get them back within a few days whilst you’re staying in Morzine.

Personally I’d prefer Boxxers though, but then that’s cos I’m happy messing about with Rockshox myself.

stomlinson
    Free Member

Askin myself exactly the same out of these three! Have you decided yet?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

fervouredimage – Member
    The Canyon is actually not that great. The frame just doesn’t work.

Looks like Joe Barnes is going to be in for a rough time then….

sharkattack

Holy thread resurrection.

Yes I decided. I went for the YT when it became available on Monday. Mostly because of the rave reviews regarding the frame and suspension components. And to be honest, a £2000 fork on a bike that costs £2600 is just ludicrous value for money. I fully intend to sell the Avid X0 Trail brakes (which seem like an odd choice) as soon as it arrives and fit Saints.

That Morewood is nice but it’s an astronomical £2000 more expensive and comes with shonky Spank components. No contest really. Would never trust Spank bars after I saw some poor German kid snap a brand new 777 in Morzine and mash his face.

It should be with me in early April.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Could someone tell Shark when his bike will actually arrive?

Or will that thing not happen this year?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which German DH bike?’ is closed to new replies.