Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which garmin??
  • lee170
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting a garmin computer for the road bike, can’t really warrant paying over £200 so that rules out the 810.
    Not to bothered about strava link,
    I want something that tells me the basic stuff, being able to add ant+ may come in handy, but definitely not essential.
    I would like it to map my ride and give details of height gained etc.
    I would like the ghost bike thingy so I can keep going, a little incentive to keep me grinding.
    A back light for dark nights/mornings.
    I currently have a cateye strada wireless.

mttm
    Free Member

Edge 500 does all that, about £70 from Aldi when they have them in. Unless by “map my ride” you mean you want actual maps on the device. The 500 has the “breadcrumb trail” style of map.

jimdubleyou

810 is £199.99 on wiggle right now. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-810-gps-cycle-computer/

Not sure about the ghost thingie, but does the 25 does almost all you want?

I’ve been trying to make the same decision but my list includes ant & mapping.

I think I’m going to go 520 as you can make it do maps (there was a post on here) and it’s a bit smaller than the 810.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got Garmin 800. Still going strong, very robust. I did find that having the map and turn by turn route on the road expanded my riding quite a bit. Meant I could easy plot a route and follow it without faff to those more out of the way places if your looking for motiovation. Endless new routes and you can always use other poples gpx files.

swillybey
    Free Member

Not worth a new topic, but which is the cheapest Garmin with a Strava link? Cheers.

monkeyboyjc

Edge 25???

mttm
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by a Strava connection? Anything with a USB output will allow you to upload a file to Strava. On that basis the Edge 20 at about £80 is the one. But the Edge 25 can be had for £100, and that has bluetooth allowing you to sync to your phone and get instant wireless uploads to Garmin Connect / Strava – for the sake of £20, that’s where I’d spend my money.

Also just noticed that the 20 and 25 have the GLONASS network. In my experience (rides with lots of steep valleys and some woods) this makes a big difference to the tracking accuracy if your purpose is matching Strava segments. I went from an Edge 500 (no GLONASS) to an Edge 510 (GLONASS) and I certainly wouldn’t contemplate a GPS that didn’t offer GLONASS support now.

Just my two penn’orth, of course 😉

GavinB

I looked at this a while back, and ended up with a Touring Plus, as I wanted maps on the device, ability to track routes, re-route and have HRM support. I didn’t need to be able to add a power meter.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Edge 520?

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Mio 505

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which garmin??’ is closed to new replies.