Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which Garmin?
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

After losing two rides due to the strava app and dodgy GPS tracking I’m hoping getting a Garmin may help. Don’t want to spend mega bucks and don’t really need a on-screen navagation. Just want speed, time and it to track my route and upload to strava.

Any suggestions?

palmer77
    Free Member

IMHO strava compensates in your favour on phones due to the dodgy GPS 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

If that’s really all you want then an Edge 200 will do you.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Edge 200

tthew

Which is on offer in Aldi this Sunday. 70 quid.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I take it to upload to strava I connect to my pc?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep

sillyoldman

VivoActive watch works well too, and wirelessly uploads to Strava/Garmin Connect.

Useful in other ways too.

piemonster

IMHO strava compensates in your favour on phones due to the dodgy GPS

*downlads Strava app*

piemonster

I’m certain the Garmin Fit APP does the same btw

Radioman

I have an edge 800. I have found it pretty useless for “navigating” apart from the odd way home direction. All I do with it is record my routes and HR monitor etc which I do enjoy keeping as a “ride diary”. The design is awful and software poor, Friends with edge 200s seem to have the best value option. If I buy anything to actually navigate in future it will have to be larger with a much better sized screen. The edge 800 also seems to take quite a while to lock onto satellites.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got the 810 (which is overkill for what you want) the satallite lock is quick once outside and only took a while when I first used it on the other side of the world. Nav is good enough for the screen size and it’s had a big software layout change for the 810.

stevego
    Free Member

Got an 800 which seems to have constant problems with moisture getting into the USB port. I often get the ‘USB device not recognised’ or ‘this accessory is not supported’ error messages. I can only get it to connect through to the computer irregularly now. Are the ports on the 810 better protected against moisture or are the equivalent Magellans better?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mine seems fine with nearly 3 years use. It never seems damp under the port covers, bi don’t do as many wet rides as when I was in the UK but I do enough.

jam-bo

palmer77 – Member
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

So do you attribute the slower times than you on the leaderboard to dodgy GPS or just the people above you on the leaderboards?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in on this slightly. I have been considering a garmin for turn by turn navigation as when I head somewhere new the iPhone doesn’t really cut it (both for having to stop and take it out of my pocket all the time, and battery)

What’s the cheapest turn by turn garmin that’s works?

Many thanks in advance

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

For tuen by turn navigation I looked at the Garmin 810 and 1000. The 1000 is technically “better” and has a bigger screen but the 810 is smaller (which I like), cheaper and does everything I need. So far very happy with the 810 for road use. Not tried it off road.

gren
    Free Member

510 would be my choice based on just upgrading from a 200 that I used for a few years.

The 200 was faultless but I upgraded for 2 reasons (3 if you count that it was Xmas and I was looking for something for the missus to buy me!) – the 1 second polling is a must for off road Strava-ing and the bluetooth auto upload to Garmin and then to Strava means I don’t have to switch the laptop on just to upload a ride.

That said the 200 is all you really ‘need’ and is a lot cheaper.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Do they not work great offroad then? I guess if the trails are established turn by turn is decent?

stumpy01

bwfc4eva868 – Member

I take it to upload to strava I connect to my pc

If you have a tablet (Android) you can get a USB OTG cable and use that to transfer stuff to Strava. You have to use the website, rather than the app, but it works fine.

EDIT – assuming your tablet can provide enough juice to the device. Some can, some can’t. Luckily, mine can (LG GPad 8.3).

ichi
    Free Member

For navigation purposes you don’t need to look any further than the Edge Touring. £140 ATM on bike discount. Works flawlessly and even gives you basic data, speed, distance, elevation etc and can be paired with HR sensor if you want. Good sized colour screen that gets compared favourably to the 800s.

rooster42
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin 200, but only use it for navigation and bike computer, use my iphone for strava. This is because as others have said it only polls every 10 secs compared to the iphone that polls every second so I get more accurate results off-road. For navigation I just create a route on Strava and upload to the Garmin and it just gives you a breadcrumb trail to follow and beeps when you make a wrong turn. I find it works really well compared to my mates 800 which is hard to follow because of the colour screen and maps which make it difficult to read. Would consider a 510 next but don’t really need it.

br
    Free Member

Edge 200

After 3 Bryton failures (replaced each time by Merlin) they gave me a credit and I bought the Edge 200 – wish I’d spent more or bought something different.

Bad points – not accurate on elevation, records +300 to 500ft more my pals’ expensive Garmin, and then uploads less and very imited display configuration, ie can’t show time and other restrictions.

Good points – battery life, just upload to Garmin and links auto to Strava, solid mount.

Milkie
    Free Member

My Edge 705 & 800 have been great for Turn by Turn navigation if the route was correctly programmed or using City Navigator maps. Highly recommend the 800/810 due to the OS Discovery maps. If you just want to log GPS data, the edge 200 or possibly something completely different.

I recently took a 10hz GPS Sky XGPS160 (Garmin & Phones are 1hz) on a ride and was quite impressed. A few more rides needed before I can decide if it is better under tree cover than the Garmin. The only downside so far is it logs standing time as moving time.

tomd
    Free Member

Garmin Edge 200s are on offer at Aldi this weekend, great little thing. It also does turn by turn navigation.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Lots of whining on the Garmin forum about the poor turn by turn navigation on the Edge 810. I’m perfectly happy with mine as I never use turn by turn.

I bought a Vivoactive a couple of weeks ago and it would probably do all the OP required plus a fair bit more.

jfletch
    Free Member

I can only really see an 810/1000 being useful if you use you bike like a car i.e. for transport and need to plan routes on the fly.

For routes planned in advance for a “cycling for the sake of it” type activity the “follow the line on a blank screen” navigation of the cheaper units is perfect.

Personally I’d shy away from the 200 because of the slow polling and the inevitability of wanting to pair some sensors once I’d got used to having the thing on my bars.

The 500 is also an options as it’s cheaper than the newer units and can pair sensors but I’d dismiss this due to the lack of bluetooth meaning it had to be plugged in to a USB to upload a ride.

The 510 is perfect for me, pairs sensors and uploads to the web before I’ve even put my bike in the garage without me touching a thing. Expensive though.

edhornby

gren, BR, if you’re selling 2ndhand PM me 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t mind plugging the unit in to my computer – I’ve the appropriate cable permanently plugged in to it and leaving the Garmin connected means that it will recharge as well so there is no(t much) chance of me heading out with a flat unit. I also copy the FIT files to my local hard drive so they get backed up or merged/corrected if I’ve messed up with starting/stopping a ride or shock horror left the unit running with the bike in the car on the way home – lots of KOMs!

dave_h
    Free Member

After losing two rides due to the strava app and dodgy GPS tracking

The rides actually happened so live in your memory and muscles. The important stuff isn’t lost.

simon_g

Navigation is as good as the mapping really. It works great on my Edge Touring (with free openstreetmap) for road stuff, much like a car satnav it shows the junction coming up, along with road names. Have only used it once to direct me without a pre-planned route, it did fine but had a preference for quieter roads and cycle paths even if it was a bit longer.

I used a Edge 200 for quite a while (and a forerunner before that), following a line on a map gets you there OK but plenty of junctions aren’t obviously shaped and I’d overshoot a few times a ride if it was somewhere unfamiliar. It beeps at you after a few seconds, and it’s easy to get back on track, but enough to justify the cost of a Touring to me.

Off-road the line is usually good enough to figure it out, but if you’ve got mapping that understands turns then that’s handy. Nice too to work out a quicker way back if you’re cold/knackered/it’s getting dark.

palmer77
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    palmer77 – Member
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    So do you attribute the slower times than you on the leaderboard to dodgy GPS or just the people above you on the leaderboards?

I should say that I use both a Garmin 800 and my iPhone and have noticed a quicker average speed on the same route when tracking with both. Others are faster than me, I don’t really care 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

If you get in quick, you can get 20% off the Edge 200 at Halfords this weekend, which makes it just a tenner more than Aldi (and you get a tenners worth of SiS stuff free with it). Worth the tenner to have a bit more peace of mind about returning it if there’s an issue, I’d say. Plus, you avoid the Aldi bike scrum.

Kuco

I’ve been using an Edge 200 and find it great for basic stuff. Even planned a 85 mile road ride on the Connect website and up loaded it to the 200 and followed the simple arrow direction. Only went wrong once whizzing down a hill and missed the turn the load bleep did let me know I went wrong.

breninbeener

I have a BNIB Garmin 500 that was a gift. Sadly i already have one. I havnt even opened it.

I would like £100 for it. breninbeener@gmail.com

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which Garmin?’ is closed to new replies.