Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which fork on a 5Spot?
  • giantjason
    Free Member

Got myself a DW 5Spot and next on the list is what fork i will use, which will be mainly for XC/AM duties.

I know there are a lot of 5Spot users on here so what would you recommend.

Should i go with 160mm, 150mm or 140mm travel and with Fox's or go for DT Swiss, Rockshox etc.

I am not really fused on adjustable travel and want a fork with a through axle that doesnt need maintenance after each ride.

Would going for coils give a much plusher and more controlled ride.

I previously had a Magura Thor and although it was a plush fork i got way too much brake dive.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Get a 140 RLC bolt thru and take the spacer out you then have a 150, love mine it eats rocks 😀 I have heard the Talas has a lot of reliability issues. If you have the wonga though get the 36.

heihei

Got a Float 36 on mine and love it, although if I went again I'd prob stick a Float 32 150 on it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toons
    Free Member

Fox float 36.

Where do you ride?

giantjason
    Free Member

i ride around Berkshire at the minute but will be moving to Bath/Bristol in the near future so want to ensure i have a fork for south wales, quantocks, mendips, exmoor etc

is the extra weight of the 36's noticeable?

Would anyone recommend the 36 Van's?

Gary_C

Fox 36 FLOAT on mine.

Did a couple of rides with the forks at 160mm travel, but found the bike wandering on steep climbs, so stripped the forks down & fitted a 20mm spacer to drop the travel to 140mm.

Much better.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Pikes on my DW – Perfect

spence
    Free Member

Pikes on mine…………………

mrpink
    Free Member

I have a 36 talas + 150 32 float,both good forks.General riding the 150 32 float gets the nod,don't get a 140 fox.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

140 fox 32 rlc is the 150 they use a 10mm spacer to bring it down to 140!

giantjason
    Free Member

are those pike you have got coil or air and what length of travel?

convert

140mm Air Pikes on mine at the moment as that is what I had already and I have to say they're not too bad. The head angle is quite steep by some bikes standard which I love on twisty flatish stuff but not so much on the downs. The extra 10mm crown to fork length of the 150 rev is tempting.

I've got an expensive plan though….have a chameleon of a bike with 3 modes:-

1 – Normal mode – Rev fork (maybe the new 2011, 2 position one rahter than U turn), with current 710mm riser bars and flow rims & big rotors with heavy tough tubless high rollers and a short stem.

2 – Alps mode – all the above kit and a 160mm travel, 36mm fork – flavour tbc.

3 – Enduro mode – Back to rev fork, hope pro 3/crest rim wheels with thinner/lighter/faster rubber; a longer stem and a 660mm flat bar.

And maybe 4 – A mix of 1&2 with the riser bar but lighter wheels.

In option 2 & 3 mode there are probably better bikes but as a one FS for all occasions I think it might work well.

giantjason
    Free Member

would a 140mm Fox 32 Vanilla be ok or as others have said would i be wanting the extra 10mm travel to bring the trvael to 150mm?

Crag
    Free Member

I'm running 140 air pikes on mine and it's the steep head angle rather than the lack of travel that's thelimiting factor.

si-wilson
    Free Member

If you fancy the fox 140 floats (what I would choose) I have a couple of 2010 sets for sale at very good prices 🙂

convert

Crag – concur.

But going the whole hog and dragging around the extra 1lb+ in weight of a 160mm fork to gain 25mm of crown to axle length (and therefore 1.25 Deg of slackening of the HA) would not suit me for most of my riding in the UK. A 150mm, 32mm stanchion RS fork (RS have longer axle to crowns than a comparable length of travel Fox) might be the perfect compromise.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Coil Lyriks on my DW Spot. Great combo.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which fork on a 5Spot?’ is closed to new replies.